How to fix down interior cabinets ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubselector

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all,
So finally saved up enough money for some new interior cabinets, but they require bolting to the floor. The problem I have is that I have is my bus has welded-on belly pans so I can't access the underneath to fit retaining nuts. Anyone got any clever ideas to get round this ? I thought maybe Rivnuts as the bolts are only 6mm, but am concerned they might just pull through the floor in the event of a sudden stop. I really want to avoid the expense and ballache of cutting the pans off if I can.

How about making your own fixing plates similar to seatbelt spreader plates by welding an 8mm nut to a plate, drilling a 13mm hole in the floor so the nut is flush and then welding the plate to the floor.

The load of a sudden stop is unlikely to pull out rivnuts I’d have thought.
You can also fix to the sides of the van too, and use the bulkheads.
Don’t overthink it or over engineer it. No need. :)

Just a point about self-tappers, at least Dormobile fitted all their cabinets to the floor using them. Probably others too.
I'm actually going to be pilot drilling several holes in my new floor today to achieve the same thing. 😓

You can get bigger rivnuts than M6, we regular use M8 & M10 ones for holding down non structural items in confined spaces etc

Latest posts