Hub Puller

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesnailman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year I had a problem with a poor fit of hubs and spindles on the back axel. I managed to get two 2nd hand spindles that were much better and splashed the cash on a pair of creative engineering brake drums. When I was assembling I realised that i was going to have a job getting them apart again - they were a super tight fit (spindle to drum). Before, the drum could be taken off real easy, now I will need a hub puller.

Having done some internet searching Im finding a few (very expensive) hub pullers that appear to fit a wide 5 drum. Before I buy anything, what are others using?

I had the same problem with new rear brake drums but the garage that fitted them spent enough time with a needle file to relax the fit so that they would come off again.

It's a great pity that these replacement parts don't "just fit".

Sorry I can't help with a recommendation for a hub puller but perhaps somewhere that does commercial vehicles might lend/rent you one?

I used a chain and a normal puller, awkward to get it right first time but once you get the hang its bang on, and cheep

Hi folks

I should have come back and said that I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UZ21FC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

perhaps a little over the top, but it does the job well. TBH, i'd rather have the tight fit than the previous slack that caused the castle nut to crack and fall off. Anyway - we know the rule don't we? Thanks for the advice - that chain idea was one I considered

"He who dies with the most tools.... Wins!"

Latest posts