HVLP spraying equipment..........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these for spraying?
I've read quite a lot about it on VZi ( :oops: ) and it seems a good way to spray on the cheap. I was going to go down the route of a compressor (see various other threads) but cant budget for a compressor big enough or powerful enough :? also its then having the space to store it where as i little HVLP system (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92612/Power-Tools/Sprayers/Earlex-HV1900-HVLP-Spray-Kit-400W) could easily be stored and is less than a 1/4 of the price of the equivilant compressor.
I know that the finish with a compressor and gun will be better but i'm not planning on going concours, i just want a smart looking DRIVABLE van that i'm not constantly worrying about stone chips or scratch's
So whats the pros and cons to a HVLP system compared to a Compressor?

Great for what your wanting just remember that theres a lot of prep work and knocking back, but this will be fine, detailing aint as good but thats not what your wanting. I did a few cars way back using a similar setup "borrowed" from an aircraft hanger, real good finnish and minimal bounce back, just take it slow and easy lots of fine coats.

^^WHS^^

I'd like to add that if the final coat is thick enough and if you're using 2-pack (even cheaper industrial paint instead of the ridiculously expensive High Solids of today) that it's perfectly possible to get a real shiny and tight finish by color sanding the orange peel and polishing, it's hard work but you'll be very, very proud.

Have spoken to a mate at work and if i can primer the van then he will top coat it with his compressor and devilbliss(?) gun, so really only going to be using this system to prep, and as it will be flatted back before top coating then hopefully it should look OK

Hopefully going to talk to a paint supplier sometime this week so looking to sort something out pretty quickly and see what they recommend

Just done a camper for first time recently
I bare metalled it due to amount of welding carried out, zinc primed then filled and sanded then etch primed. Used a basecoat as i got a miscolour from paintshop which was cheap and a couple of shades from colour I was going then a couple or three laters of 2k and colour sand

came out lovely

Interior was again bare metalled and then Bonda primer and enamel from Aldi

white002.jpg

paint1.jpg

Nic B-C said:
Did priming and basecoat with HVLP kit from B and Q top coat with compressor
This is exactly the same methods i intend to do! 8)
Cheers for the info, and by the way what colour blue did you use?

I've managed to borrow a devilbiss HVLP sprayer from a work collegue but need to buy a gun as his gun is knackered, so gonna buy a cheap priming gun and some primer / thinners over the next couple of days, so if the weather holds out then i can make a start

Latest posts