I need some expert heads to go with my heart!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonrtw2

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Went to see a 1972 Westfalia crossover last week and despite its bumps and bruises you cant help but fall in love with these vans.

But I am new to all this and although I am learning all the time, I'm a complete novice and maybe acting on impulse rather than sound reason.

If you can spare a moment to check out the van... the engine and underneath are all solid but as you can see from the pictures, it's pretty beaten up on the outside. Interior is original westfalia, but again it needs some attention.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ndrm808T-Bo0XSng-abHALGx_Ts5xJAP?usp=sharing

Tell me...am I crazy to be offering around £14,000 (pound sterling) for this? Or is that a fair price?

Anyone in the know, I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Looks very good to me. Minimal rust, a few character blemishes and tidy underneath. That looks a very good price for a fifty year old vehicle. Type 4 motor so the latest available back then, that’ll keep up with modern traffic and a bit more.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,you ain’t a crazzzzzeeeeee! :mrgreen:

Looks a good bus for that money. Dents and scrapes are cool but could be sympathetically reduced/repaired if you want it tidier.

It’s a yes from me.

Aside from the battle scars I think it looks good value.

I suppose it all depends on your plans and how far you want to go with the restoration.

As I found out, once you start stripping back there’s a chance you’re gonna find other repairs that need to be dealt with but it’s better dealing with those at the start rather than further down the line.

I purposely bought something knowing that I’d be putting in a complete new interior to suit our needs after all the bodywork was done so it was a fair bit cheaper.

Good Luck and be sure to start a gallery thread once you take the plunge [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Paul, did you forget you already created an account? https://forum.earlybay.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=32565

Coda said:
Hey Paul, did you forget you already created an account? https://forum.earlybay.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=32565

I was having some issues with my first account, so I made another one, only to find that I have the same issues :x

I seem to get a general error as I move from page to page and I have to refresh to correct it.

Thanks so much for all the responses. It's good to know that I would be paying a fair price. The most important thing for me is a solid underneath, I don't want to build my home on a foundation of rust :)

Will. start up a thread if I take the plunge :)

Jacksonrtw2 said:
Will. start up a thread if I take the plunge :)
Great, good luck. Will we look out for Jacksonrtw3? :mrgreen: Only kidding, if you need some technical help just ask, there's quite a few of us on here that work/worked in IT and may be able to help you solve any issues.

I would say more around 12k especially with it being a left hooker but I am a yorkshireman when I think or say owwwwwwwwwwww much! No ta...

Saying that what's it worth to you? If you want peace of mind of no major rot then maybe it's worth it.