ICT Manifolds

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh.go.on.then

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just taken my EMPI manifolds off to put a balance pipe on. I think it may run a bit better with one on the 34 ICT carbs.

It appears the point where I would tap the manifolds for the barb is directly in front of where the spark plug would be!?

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Looking at CB performance manifolds it looks like the balance pipe point is much higher up.

In hind sight I would have bought the EMPI ones as you can't tighten the manifold to head nuts with a socket as the casting only allows an open ended spanner.....which is very difficult to tighten.

Thought would be appreciated anyway on the location of the balance tube.

Cheers

Mike

I got the EMPI manifolds with the kit I installed and you're right - it looks like you can't get the plug in but you can - just. It's dead easy with the engine out and possible with it in, just a bit fiddly. On mine, the barb faces forwards on the left hand carb (looking at engine from rear) and backwards on the right hand one, so cylinders 1 and 4 are a proper pain. I use an old bit of vacuum/oil hose on the plug to wangle it in and get it started, then nadge the socket in.

I had to install a balance pipe, BTW, as mine's got a servo...

I've tried to access the manifold/head nuts with the engine in and admitted defeat after an hour or so - I tend to have the engine out a couple of times a year so leave it until then...

Am going to have a look at the CBP manifolds now though - might make life easier...

Jimbly said:
I got the EMPI manifolds with the kit I installed and you're right - it looks like you can't get the plug in but you can - just. It's dead easy with the engine out and possible with it in, just a bit fiddly. On mine, the barb faces forwards on the left hand carb (looking at engine from rear) and backwards on the right hand one, so cylinders 1 and 4 are a proper pain. I use an old bit of vacuum/oil hose on the plug to wangle it in and get it started, then nadge the socket in.

I had to install a balance pipe, BTW, as mine's got a servo...

I've tried to access the manifold/head nuts with the engine in and admitted defeat after an hour or so - I tend to have the engine out a couple of times a year so leave it until then...

Am going to have a look at the CBP manifolds now though - might make life easier...

Cheers for the reply

I've now fitted some stubby pipe barbs onto the manifolds to give as much clearance as possible. Not fitted yet but looks like it should be ok. I'm not looking forward to tightening them again though!

I can take photos if it helps anyone in the future.

Mike

Latest posts