Ideas for a dash enclosure for my diy temp stuff

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbaldo

Reaction score
How do, need ideas to house my new mini project

7Rnj1jS.jpg

After seeing the price of a VDO gauge and sensor kit, I thought Id just make my own using some off the shelf (well ebay) electronics, total cost around £20 without a housing.

It consists of a sump sensor (sump bolt drilled tapped) and a engine bay sensor. They read the temps every second, display on LCD and if it goes over a set temp (which I haven't decided yet, thinking oil 120 deg?) then it shows an on screen warning and will light a red LED.

Anyway I want to mount it on the dash but without looking out of place or a horrible plastic box. Any ideas to make a retro housing?

I was gonna buy a broke 8track player and fit the lcd where the cassette goes in, but this would probs be under dash and would be a bit too hidden to see. I need about 4x2x4 inches minimum space to house the kit.

Any cool or wacky ideas? Ideally top dash mounted or just under where the radio goes centre dash.

For techy people, the kits just an Arduino Uno clone, DS18B20 sensor for the engine bay (as they only go to 100c) and a k-type Thermocouple for the sump, connected to a MAX6675 controller. The max6675 sits next to the gearbox housed in a junctionbox, with cat5 going back to the dash. DS18B20 is wired straight to the dash from engine bay.

It would be criminal to do it, but mounting in an OG dash-top tissue box would be subtle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
It would be criminal to do it, but mounting in an OG dash-top tissue box would be subtle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not but you might have give me an idea, Maybe a cup holder mounted somewhere with the LCD on the front?

Humm....

Latest posts