Ignition barrel starter switch issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
Trying to cure an intermittent starting issue. Having eliminated the starter motor, the hot start relay and ignition wiring as not the problem, I've now got the steering wheel off with the intention of changing the starter switch. However, now I've got it out i recognise it as a relatively new item so it looks like it's been replaced recently. I was banking on this being the fix that would sort it for good but now I'm running out of ideas.
Is it possible that the key is worn and not activating the switch? (The ignition turns on perfectly and I can short the starter motor with wire to get the engine going) or is it possible that the ignition barrel is faulty and needs replacing?

Cheers
Monkey

It's in two parts, the key barrel and the ignition switch.
Can you not test to see if you're getting 12V when you turn the key?
Battery feed via light switch to terminal 30 (red), 12V to starter from terminal 50 (larger of the two red cables), ignition feed to fusebox from terminal 15 (black).

On my 3rd pattern ign switch, the starter part fails. Have now wired it so there is "zero" load on switch as everything works via relays.

What issue are you having?
I can turn the key to turn on ignition but turning further to start gives me nothing. I had success previously whacking the ignition housing but even a good whack isn't doing anything now.

Same fault I had switch falling apart, the alloy housing is swaged into 3 places on the rear board and the spring pressure that holds the moving contact causes the swage to fail. Redid the swages on mine and touch wood it still works.

I can turn the key to turn on ignition but turning further to start gives me nothing. I had success previously whacking the ignition housing but even a good whack isn't doing anything now.
If you pull the electrical part out and turn it with a screwdriver does it work normally?

On my 3rd pattern ign switch, the starter part fails. Have now wired it so there is "zero" load on switch as everything works via relays.
Me too, thr repros are shockingly shit.

Now going for a generic ignition switch and a button

Latest posts