Ignition coil fail

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboosie

Reaction score
Hi all.

was returning from Wales yesterday in the van after about 9 miles van spluttered and cut out. Would restart and go for about 1/2 a mile then cut out again. RAC called and investigated and said coil was gone. Coils a flame thrower 2 which has only done about a 1000 miles. Does this sound like the problem or is it something else? Also is them a better coil to fit with the flame thrower electronic ignition? Thanks.

Thanks. I think it’s a 3ohm coil. Had no spare or RAC man would of fitted it. Thinking of changing to bosch type.

Okay thanks. What do you guys run in yours? Just want something reliable. Broke down on a crap bit of road yesterday at 11:45, took RAC 3 hours to turn up. He stopped traffic so could move it to safer spot. He couldn’t fix it so called recovery truck. That turned up at 20:30 then waited for taxi to pick us up. Take came at 21:20, got home at 23:30. Camper still in Wales at the mo. Also considered selling it for a T6, wife had a meltdown on side of road and my son was sick in the taxi 2 miles from home. All good fun. RAC as also useless, had to phone them loads of times or would probably still be there.

I have a CSP Pacemaker dissy which is a more stock looking 123, and have a Pertronix flamethrower coil (3 Ohm) fitted over two years ago. Been ok for several thousand miles so far. I also renewed the spark plug leads about the same time.

Binthrower, you can’t trust the coils and pertronix don’t care. I replaced my second or third failure with a Unipart one to get me home when it stranded me, luckily in town. Still got the coil. RAC don’t have the capacity to deal with breakdowns nationally, as the subcontractor who eventually collected me told me after an 11 hour wait.

Before the last changeover of coil and dissy, I had a Pertronix ignitor 1 dissy (009) and a standard Bosch coil. These worked well for around 8 years without a problem. The only reason I changed was to try a vacuum advance dissy with the CSP one and also renew the coil. Fingers crossed the new Pertronix coil will be ok. I suppose it may be useful to carry a spare on a trip just in case. I've checked the mileage since the change in dissy/ coil, and its 10k so all ok up to now!

Thanks again all. Camper arrived back today for Wales. Checked what’s on the engine, pertronix electronic ignition kit fitted in a 009 dissy with 3ohm pertronix flame thrower coil. Bit confused about them 123 and csp dissy’s mentioned, are Expensive too. Are they worth the money? Also see can be set via computer or Bluetooth.

I don't have the programmable distributor, yes they are expensive, but I haven't had to touch the ignition system for at least 6 years. Timing gets checked regularly but has never needed adjusting.

Interesting thread. Been looking at ignition coils information with trying to sort out what problem exists with the bus cutting out and stopping when driving slowly in busy traffic or coming to a stop at junctions. Getting the odd popping exhaust sounds too when idling in neutral and putting the foot on the accelerator. Great going along at speed. Bought a Dinamex coil and I’m not quite sure whether to fit it really. Currently there’s a Bosch in place. Not the expensive one. I have a Bosch distributor too. I will ‘soon as can’ multimeter check the Bosch to see if it is compromising the system. Have been reading up and looking at compatibility with the new Dinamex coil, distributor type, condenser, points, advanced vacuum, etc. within this collective system. Very confusing at times to know what is best in order to keep ticking along nicely. Will keep a special eye on this thread. Cheers all.

Interesting thread. Been looking at ignition coils information with trying to sort out what problem exists with the bus cutting out and stopping when driving slowly in busy traffic or coming to a stop at junctions. Getting the odd popping exhaust sounds too when idling in neutral and putting the foot on the accelerator. Great going along at speed. Bought a Dinamex coil and I’m not quite sure whether to fit it really. Currently there’s a Bosch in place. Not the expensive one. I have a Bosch distributor too. I will ‘soon as can’ multimeter check the Bosch to see if it is compromising the system. Have been reading up and looking at compatibility with the new Dinamex coil, distributor type, condenser, points, advanced vacuum, etc. within this collective system. Very confusing at times to know what is best in order to keep ticking along nicely. Will keep a special eye on this thread. Cheers all.
blocked idle jet in carb maybe?

Good idea. I had the carburettor stripped down, rebuilt and cleaned about a year and a bit ago. But left the bus sitting idle from last January for weeks on end after retiring and getting stuck into house and garden. Upshot was petrol problems with Ethanol separation. The bus hasn’t truly been the same since. Sorted with additives and E5 sought locally. But these combinations of problematics are not easy are they. 🤔 The thread topic re: the ignition coil and probable problems answered is really interesting for getting more knowledge from others here. Cheers for the nod re: idle jet.

Interesting thread, I use a 123 electronic ignition with a viper coil with no issues for years. Test the new coils resistance before fitting them as even new ones can suffer shorts.

Attachments

• 20220522_190218.jpg
    20220522_190218.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts