Indicator Cancelling help needed on a 72 Crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J4yman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
So one of my niggly jobs is to get the steering wheel to cancel the indicator arm. I currently have a gap of maybe 12 mm from steering wheel to support from dash. I have looked up how to do this but can't find anything anywhere. I have found a video on later models and there is a retaining Shear bolt which keeps the main body of the column to the surround that links to the main body. On the 72 I can't see anything that is of help to solve this. I the only thing I can think of it to see if I can bend the main support to reduce this. Anyone got any info or pictures/videos on howto sort this. Must me an easyfix but it's just keeping the thing tight so it doesn't drop down and lose the function to cancel.

I've just done it on my recently acquired 1971 van - I simply loosened the two screws holding the indicator arm to the column and slid the switch assembly upwards to close the gap.

The indicators still don't self cancel (the plastic ears on the switch don't catch the ring, I've not really investigated why) but there's no longer the ugly gap.

--
Simon

I've just done it on my recently acquired 1971 van - I simply loosened the two screws holding the indicator arm to the column and slid the switch assembly upwards to close the gap.

The indicators still don't self cancel (the plastic ears on the switch don't catch the ring, I've not really investigated why) but there's no longer the ugly gap.

--
Simon
I still have it on the to do list but the wheel maybe off soon as I need a new front support panel and want to tidy up the dashboard(spray and clean) whilst it's off. So will make sure it's fixed up when it goes on. Thanks

--
Simon
I have this same issue on my 71. I tried the ring in different positions but nothing seems to catch the cancelling arms

Sounds like it needs moving up the column as the column is wider at the top, the shear bolt is only on late bays not on earlies

Mine is about 2mm gap. My indicator housing doesn’t tighten on the column either so I use elec tape to hold it in place. There is probably something missing.

Sorry for hyjack.

FYI the two screws that hold the L and R t/s switch housings together (and clamp it to the steering column) are a different
size on the aftermarket t/s switches I've seen, compared to the original German units. It's usually the slots inside the
housing (which is made of pot metal) that hold the steel clamping ring that wear out and allow the switch to become loose.

Hi, my new indicator arm fits ok but doesn't cancell. Just have to remember to turn it off. My bus is a 71 left hooker so dont know if that nakes a difference??

Latest posts