Is my oil bath missing something?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyvan

Reaction score
My 1969 manual (my van year) shows the oil bath connected to a cable which disappears in the engine somewhere.

My actual oil bath has no cable going to it. The bit where it possibly connects to is missing (?) see the photo where the white area is.

I have also read that some use a wax thermostat. Is this what I have please? And the cable is redundant? I’m also running an original copper bellows thermostat. Does this make any difference to the operation of the oil bath?

Thanks for your help!

I think the wax stat would be on the other side of your intake pipe in your photo. You should be able to see it with the lid off the filter body.

The fan-shroud flap mechanism on my bus (1970 1600 SP) has a clamp that looks like it's meant to push/pull a bowden cable, which presumably permits the air filter flap to be opened by (effectively) the engine thermostat, but isn't connected to anything.

The wax stat works fine for me; it holds the flap open at low airflow (revs) once the engine bay ambient temperature is high enough.
Or maybe it's the other way around; at low airflow (revs) when it's cold the flap closes by a bob weight that makes the air filter draw from the warm air pipe that passes through the rear tinware and ends near the cylinder fins.

Quite a while ago there was a thread about the different types of these along with the relevant pictures.
It might be worth using the search function as it should still be about.

Latest posts