Lack of heat to the feet !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubselector

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have done all the obvious things, new heat exchangers (Genuine), new heater cables fitted and adjusted, lagged all visible pipework and blocked rear vents / set centre one to shut (actually found cable under seat worked after liberal spraying with wd40 !) but still only getting a very small mount of "warm" air out of the front. I have belly pans fitted so cant see what's going on in the centre pipe but no rust at either end. So do I get the grinder out to remove the pan just for a look or is their anything else I can try ? I have a thirty HP style fan shroud with no thermostat at the moment but even on a 75 mile trip the air flow is next to nothing and tepid at best. I will fire up the compressor at the weekend and give the system a blow through but any other suggestions would be gratefully received :roll:

That 30hp style fan shroud won't be helping. They just don't direct the air as well as a proper doghouse one.

Do the two flexy/corrugated hoses from the heat exchangers to the chassis seal well?

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

In addition to an incorrect fan shroud reducing efficiency, running without a thermostat makes the heater virtually useless - the engine doesent get up to operating temperature - at all -ever - in cool weather - (insert Homer Simpson "doh")

Plus all the air goes straight down during warm up phase meaning there's very little air flow for the heater - just when it's needed most.

Why is it some people think they can improve things by removing or leaving stuff off?

Thanks Guys, only fitted the fan shroud to give better access to the carbs- my old one had corroded through in the bottom corner so was u/s. -It will have to stay on until the next time I pull the engine. In the meantime I will see if there is any provision to fit a thermostat.

I Got the heater permanently on. cables did work so well, so got them tied up at the heat exchanger end and its made a big improvment

also got a Mikuni diesel heater in as well, firing out heat from the bottom of the rock and roll bed to the front cab its amazing, the bus is nice and warm.
i turn it on before going out on a cold day it runs of the leisure battery. also i drive with it on so far no probs. great investment if you can find a secondhand for the right price.
geordie

Removed the heater "totem pole" and stuck the Hoover pipe down the hole in the floor - this is the contents of the bag !
I don't think it was helping the air flow. :mrgreen:
Hi, how does the totem pole come out please, I've just dropped my wrench down inside, thanks Michael

I am assuming that the y shaped plastic pipe on the top has already been removed which is why your wrench has fell in ? It's then a matter of undoing the securing bolts, pulling the top part towards you and then lifting off the pipe at the bottom - its a bit of a wrestling match. Have you tried fishing for the wrench with a magnet ?

I’ve got a magnet on a stick type of arrangement. Bought it at a tool fair at Busfest a few years back. It’s a magnet on what looks like a telescopic car ariel. If you could attach a magnet to something like an ariel. Or where are you ? If you’re anywhere near Bristol, you can borrow mine if you like for a bit of socket fishing or maybe try a wire hook on a piece of string .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,bit of a conundrum this :)

Got it ,,,, here’s the answer,,,,, get a section of garden hose pipe or oil pipe or even rubber gas pipe about three or four feet long and put it down the totem but connect the other end to a vacuum cleaner, just pop it in the pipe and gaffer tape it together just to make it air tight. Fish around until you find it then turn the vacuum on and hopefully you’ll have sucked up your socket, you’ll hear the motors noise change when you’ve ‘caught’ anything. You’ll also find out if your windscreen is original. Ishtar even be able to get the vacuums flexi pipe in there, I’d be a bit inclined not to have any tools on the end that could get stuck down there just in case, hose might be safest.:)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, best I could come up with :unsure:

The other week Lidl had some of those ariel's with a magnet on it, and the same thing with a mirror on it. Very handy! Also had a couple different size magnetic dishes.

I don't recall price, but as it is Lidl they are well worth it.
Don't know if you realised but that magnet also incorporates a led light in the middle of it too!

I’ve got a magnet on a stick type of arrangement. Bought it at a tool fair at Busfest a few years back. It’s a magnet on what looks like a telescopic car ariel. If you could attach a magnet to something like an ariel. Or where are you ? If you’re anywhere near Bristol, you can borrow mine if you like for a bit of socket fishing or maybe try a wire hook on a piece of string .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,bit of a conundrum this :)

I too have a few telescopic magnetic probes which I bought cheaply from a tool stall at a local boot fair.

I also have a similar looking telescopic pen cum board-pointer for use when lecturing.

I too have a few telescopic magnetic probes which I bought cheaply from a tool stall at a local boot fair.

I also have a similar looking telescopic pen cum board-pointer for use when lecturing.
Yes but have you got one of these new types with LED on it ? I’m gonna pop round a few of my local Lidl stores and see if I can grab one or maybe two. Reckon they might be superb for chucking in your drum when adjusting those shoes if they’re thin enough. I’ll try em if I can find one.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, And I don’t want you pointing that thing at me either !!! :)

Yes but have you got one of these new types with LED on it ? I’m gonna pop round a few of my local Lidl stores and see if I can grab one or maybe two. Reckon they might be superb for chucking in your drum when adjusting those shoes if they’re thin enough. I’ll try em if I can find one.

0f course the other thing to try is one of those eBay endoscopes that plug into your phone. They tend to come with various hooks/magnets that fit on the end so you can actually see what you're fishing for. It saved the day for me when I dropped the steering wheel woodruff key down inside the steering column......The only downside would be whether the magnet would be strong enough.

Ozzie , check yours doesn't already have an led as I've had mine for years and didn't realise until recently it has an led - if the magnet has a hole in the centre then it likely has one and you need to remove a piece of paper that isolates the batteries before it will work.

Latest posts