Lard's 1971 US Import Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lard

Reaction score
update 30/12/2015

NOW FOR SALE

update 6/9/2009

Thread on my 1971 US import bus

As advertised in Holland:

w6.jpg

w5.jpg

w4.jpg

w3.jpg

w2.jpg

w1.jpg

w0.jpg

More detailed pictures sent from the PO:

x3.jpg

x2.jpg

x1.jpg

x5.jpg

r4.jpg

r3.jpg

r2.jpg

r1.jpg

x4.jpg

As landed at midland early bay:

upto2009-07-26067.jpg

upto2009-07-26066.jpg

upto2009-07-26064.jpg

upto2009-07-26063.jpg

upto2009-07-26061.jpg

upto2009-07-26062.jpg

upto2009-07-26060.jpg

upto2009-07-26059.jpg

upto2009-07-26058.jpg

Post MOT and mid way through lowering 8) :

L1020493.jpg

L1020490.jpg

L1020484.jpg

240 Hookup thread:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17139

Car PC thread:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17492

Sweet one dood! slammed / narrowed on detailed fuchs is it 8)

cheers :)

Only a few - taking advantage of MEB and they'll be:

Changing the washers from air to pumped
dropping it slightly on adjusters
fitting electronic ignition

I've already gone out and sourced all the bits for a 240 hookup and 12v leisure system along with the US Hook up plugs - then it's a case of using it and seeing what needs doing, I'm considering some interior mods but tbh my 3 kids will no doubt trash whatever I do so may just leave in the the original door cards, roof lining, seat covers e.t.c. and replace as stuff gets worn out

I'm going to be attempting a custom bed in the pop-top (can't source and original one!) which will be a challange

The mechanicals do seem outstanding - the engine looks like a recon unit and already has an alternator so hopefully will be fine untouched for a few years

I'm also starting to think about a carputer setup with a dual wifi/3g router, I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to computers and have been itching to go for a full on setup running centrafuse front end http://www.fluxmedia.net/Default.aspx

I'll be starting a thread with progress and pics for the hookup and carputer once the bus is with me - hopefully early september :)

easy said:

That would be nice! - though I only just managed to slip the lowering past my wife (gadget's bus did the trick ;) ) so doubt she'll go for fuch's :( - that being said I do like original rims on lowered buses...but gas burners would be awesome......!

lard said:
easy said:

That would be nice! - though I only just managed to slip the lowering past my wife (gadget's bus did the trick ;) ) so doubt she'll go for fuch's :( - that being said I do like original rims on lowered buses...but gas burners would be awesome......!

I am a massive advocate for original rims and think they are the top wheels imo. I also like a change every now and again from the norm 8) good luck with all your install and keep us posted on the build up pics 8)

Just tied up the first post and added some pics of the bus mid way through lowering - they also turned the tyres round as they were on inside out, though the whiteband is covered in blue which I assume is a protective coating?

Interestingly the m-plate reckons this a micro bus in sierra yellow rather than a white westy :lol: - assume it was converted a while ago as the paint looks old, also had everything changed by the looks of it such as the side windows, also had the poptop added as I can't see it having a sunroof from the codes (unless anyone can double check for me?)

did micro buses have rear quarter vents on the door side? or is it always a solid glass window to stop the door taking out the quarter light?

coming along well!

L1020493.jpg

L1020490.jpg

L1020484.jpg

lard said:
Just tied up the first post and added some pics of the bus mid way through lowering - they also turned the tyres round as they were on inside out, though the whiteband is covered in blue which I assume is a protective coating?

if you can't get it off, get one of the sprays for cleaning alloy wheels, brings whitebands up a treat, do mine every year and they look like new tyres :)

lard said:
did micro buses have rear quarter vents on the door side? or is it always a solid glass window to stop the door taking out the quarter light?

they did, yeah

VERY tidy bus btw :mrgreen:

Picked up my bus from Midland Early Bay on Friday - have to firstly thank Graham and Gadget for all their work getting it purchased, imported and registered - the whole process was slick and I made the trip back from the Midlands to Cambridge (2 1/2 hours) without any issues and gave me plenty of time to get used to the left hooker and changing gears! (my daily is an automatic and have been a convert from manual for a few years now!)

Here she was as I arrived at MEB - just getting some finishing attention:

23349d21.jpg

And thankfully post a gentle tap from Gadgets lowering stick with adjusters and 1 spline on the rear it fits in my garage :mrgreen:

2f1738e6.jpg

86b142a6.jpg

After collecting it, taking it home and putting it in the garage it hasn't moved this weekend and sods law dictated that I had a christening to go to and helping a mate on his extension :( - did manage to get to work on a few little things I picked up on:

Connected the rear running lights back up
Fixed the rear interior light
Fixed the cab light (both from corroded terminals that needed a scrape)
Fixed the main/dip headlamp dash lights
Fixed the Oil warning lamp
Cleaned the coating from the white walls and they've come up well
Trial fitted the carputer screen (chuffed as the laptop fits in the glovebox!) 8)

bc070f02.jpg

Also installed a plugin for centrafuse which includes a speedo calculated from GPS data which will be nice to check with the cable speedo for accuracy, that and a fuel calculator to see what mpg I'm getting at the moment,

As it happens recently found out 400 yds down the road from me is a company called "VW Technics" who after a call are up on air cooled engines - so it's going in for the timing & an oil change next week and that will give me time to work on other bits (need to buy a timing light!) - list at the moment is:

Clean & hoover out the interior
Give it a good wash, t-cut and polish :)
Fit leisure system
Fit mains hookup and consumer unit
collect and fit double roof bunk
Connect front running lights to indicators
Fit carputer, amp, video camera & rear monitor

Going to run it for a bit and see what else comes up - confirmed that the engine looks pretty new and all mechanics seem to be in good shape

Have to return the compliment, this is one clean bus. I had a nose when I was up there looking over mine.

Glad to hear it is on the road MOT'd, shame mine is still a shell. Hayho at least my engine has been built now and my suspension will be here end of next week. Really need to get a move on as I don't want to exceed my late Oct deadline.

Lovin it lowered and leave the steelies on ;)

Des

Airtime said:
Ah, you bought your van at the Cool VW by the looks of it. :D It looks great lowered, but show us some better outside pics of it! :msn4:

Certainly did :mrgreen: - or I should say Midland Early Bay handled the purchase/import e.t.c. so was relatively painless for me ;)

Here's a couple of pics from yesterday after a quick wash! (taken with iphone so not the best quality :( )

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

Took the bus out for a quick run today:

IMG_0193.jpg

This weekend I had a think about the interior - long term my plans are to replace the interior panels and rip up the ply and vinyl on the floor as it looking tatty in places,

Though as this won't be until early next year I came up with a quick fix to make it more cozy:)

Went to Dunn elm Mill and bought a cheap small rug in a suitably retro colour 8) - it's quite heavy so doesn't need anything to keep it down, means I can take it out when not needed to stop it getting damp in the garage

Also found a place for my shiny new earlybay sticker (cheers uber ;) )

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

Latest posts