Late starter in early Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnam

Reaction score
After I reassembled engine and installed in the '71, we ran into a starter problem. Starter would turn over, but, it would not stop turning over even if the key was turned off. We quickly narrowed down the problem to starter or solenoid. I had another Bug starter available and tried to swap that in, when I discovered the bug starter was not long enough and did not reach the flywheel. Doing some reading, I realized I must have the later starter. So, I swapped just the solenoid and that solved the problem. So all good now.

But, I am curious. What bellhousing/gearbox do we have in the bus? The bellhousing must be a later on, since it fits the later starter. But, I thought I read that the later bellhousing does not work with the early engine (1600DP with 215mm clutch). OR, does it? Any thoughts?

Byas

AS far as I can remember (correct me some one if I am wrong) it would be a late style bell housing with mounting lugs for centre mount.

Long shaft starters were introduced with the new 091 gearboxes in 1976 model year. Easy to tell which box you have 091 have the reverse light switch on the left of the gearbox, earlier 002 boxes it was at the end of the gearbox.

Latest posts