Leaking carb & engine wont fire

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boycer

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westy
Hi,

Went for a run tonight & engine started running rough (wouldn't rev & tickover was low and lumpy), so pulled in to check and one of the dellorto carbs was leaking fuel. Seemed to stop leaking so tried to start engine, but wouldnt turn engine over, almost like the battery was dead (which it definitely isn't - all electrics working ok) i.e. it couldn't turn the engine over properly. Tried bumping, but still would not fire. Almost feels like the engine was half seized, but I could turn it over with an adjustable spanner on the timing pulley.

Realise there is probably a couple of things going wrong, but not sure what it could be, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

That was my thought, have you got a fuel pressure reg on carbs . You need to change engine oil as well if fuel has got in , best way to tell if oil level has gone up. Do you have a good inline filter , these type of carbs are very sensitive to fuel pressure and dirt on needle valves.

Engine has flooded I suspect, pull the plugs and spin it over.

You’ve either got a stuck float, needle valve or the dreaded ‘dellorto drip’

Latest posts