Leisure battery discharge limit...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very pleased with myself installing some led lights, then I left them on for a week by accident. Anyway, my leisure battery was reading 4.5v. I've attached the charger, do you reckon it'll be ok?

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Yes bud, it won’t be the first time someone has left something on and flattened the battery. Every time you use a battery, you are wearing it out to a certain degree as they can only charge / discharge so many times, so get it charged. The longer it’s left flat though, the more damage is done.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Up the lanes, cassettes on the go, early hours,,,,,,,, etc etc,,,, flat battery, bugger :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:

Leisure batteries are designed to recover from being flattened, standard car batteries are not. As Ozzie has said, all batteries have a finite life anyway.

I’m sure there’s plenty of videos of youtube explaining the differences in battery types, and devices that can be purchased that will regenerate car batteries that have been allowed to go flat, and won’t charge using a basic car charger. Many people use Ctek battery conditioners to keep them healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I checked last night and my new CTec had recovered it to 1/2 in about 4 hours. It looks like it'll live.

The PO had connected a charger to the mains hookup, so that when it was hooked up it also charged the leisure battery. This seems like a good idea, has anyone else done this?

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

If it's a proper deep cycle battery it will be OK, if it's a standard battery labelled as a "leisure battery" it will recover but lose charge very quickly and the charge/discharge cycles will be shorter until it fails.
You really need a battery charger that has a recondition mode to recover deeply discharged batteries, and is also capable of charging high Ah batteries.
Something like this.

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-7-0

Latest posts