Leisure battery voltage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The voltage across my leisure battery is 11.68V to me this means it's more or less dead. Is there something specific about leisure batteries that means this is OK?

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Went through the POs paperwork and it looks like the split charge system is only for up to 110Ah, and I have a 130Ah battery. Yeah maybe it's never been fully charged properly. I'll put it back on over night.

Just got this, should solve everything :)
59d06649c1a21d0ae76fb2b37a43917e.jpg

Nice choice. I have the MXS 10 and it looks after everything.
On and off site when parked up at home. :)

J&P
:D :D :D

I was only seeing 11.8v gain last night, which is slightly concerning as I thought I saw 12.2v yesterday after a few hours on charge. Anyway I left it on overnight and it was on the maintenance phase this morning, meaning that it is fully charged. I'll take it off and leave it for a day or 2 then check. If it's back down to 11.8v I'm guessing it's shagged.

I’ve just got a new charger from the middle of Lidl :lol: :x :lol: at the princely sum of £14.99. Those with boundless more lecktrickery knowledge than me on various other forums insist this is a virtual clone of the C Tek devise :shock: Well we’re coming to the time of year when I’ll be putting a charger on my daily overnight at about once a month , partly because I’ll be using wipers , brakes, heater ,fan, demister, starter etc etc and only driving about four minutes to work and about the same back again, so if you don’t charge it, you’ll maybe get a surprise :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,It was in the middle! I couldn’t help it ! :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
the middle of Lidl

I love the Middle of Lidl, the tools are mostly made in China BUT to German specification, so they are very strict with what Chinese company makes them which keeps the quality medium-good for the cost.

I bought one of their Compressor accessory kits in the summer, but I have no compressor :lol: So I'm waiting for one of those to come back into stock. :mrgreen:

:sign0006:

fallingoffalot said:
Left off overnight and was seeing 12.89v this morning, looks promising. I will check if there is a current draw if the voltage has dropped - I can't think of anything that would cause this though.

The battery still might be faulty and that might be a surface charge, try turning everything on that is connected to the Leisure Battery for about 5 minutes, then back off, wait 5 minutes and check the voltage then.

sparkywig said:
If it's a high ampere/hour rating it won't fully charge using the split-charge system, you'll need to charge it using a stand alone charger.
I fully charge my 115ah every couple of months.

This must depend how much the Leisure Battery is used, right? If it is hardly used and your just using your bus for day trips, but not using components that use the Leisure Battery, then even if you only had 1amp coming from the split charge, the battery would eventually fully charge? It would be the equivalent of having it on a trickle charger.

Although, what you said makes sense if you are driving for a couple of hours at a 50-70amp charge from the split charge, then stop somewhere and heavily use the battery down to say 20% capacity, then drive back again for a couple of hours, it would make sense that there will never be enough charge to charge it up to full. :party0021:

cunning plan said:
sparkywig said:
If it's a high ampere/hour rating it won't fully charge using the split-charge system, you'll need to charge it using a stand alone charger.

This must depend how much the Leisure Battery is used, right? If it is hardly used and your just using your bus for day trips, but not using components that use the Leisure Battery, then even if you only had 1amp coming from the split charge, the battery would eventually fully charge? It would be the equivalent of having it on a trickle charger.

Although, what you said makes sense if you are driving for a couple of hours at a 50-70amp charge from the split charge, then stop somewhere and heavily use the battery down to say 20% capacity, then drive back again for a couple of hours, it would make sense that there will never be enough charge to charge it up to full. :party0021:

Unless you've got a modern high end marine split charge system fitted, it won't fully charge a high amp/hour leisure battery, especially if it's been deep discharged.
The starter battery is charged first, so that takes about an hour of driving to top that up after starting.
And although charging from the alternator is sufficient to maintain a charge, the technical disadvantage of an alternator is it never fully charges the leisure battery to its full capacity as the charge voltage is cut off prematurely. So the alternator will give a maximum charge to within 80% of the leisure battery's original capacity, and over a period of time this can cause sulphation of the plates due to under charging.
The best way to keep a leisure battery in condition is to occasionally boost charge it with a stand-alone mains charger with a sufficient Ah rating.

sparkywig said:
And although charging from the alternator is sufficient to maintain a charge, the technical disadvantage of an alternator is it never fully charges the leisure battery to its full capacity as the charge voltage is cut off prematurely.

Any idea why? :?:

sparkywig said:
cunning plan said:
sparkywig said:

Unless you've got a modern high end marine split charge system fitted, it won't fully charge a high amp/hour leisure battery, especially if it's been deep discharged.
The starter battery is charged first, so that takes about an hour of driving to top that up after starting.
And although charging from the alternator is sufficient to maintain a charge, the technical disadvantage of an alternator is it never fully charges the leisure battery to its full capacity as the charge voltage is cut off prematurely. So the alternator will give a maximum charge to within 80% of the leisure battery's original capacity, and over a period of time this can cause sulphation of the plates due to under charging.
The best way to keep a leisure battery in condition is to occasionally boost charge it with a stand-alone mains charger with a sufficient Ah rating.

Your a cleave sausage :lol:

I always plug my CTEK charger in when the bus is in the garage, especially over the winter. I attach the leads to the car battery and because of the split charge system, I beleive it will switch over to the LB when the car battery reaches a certain charge or voltage. :)

Latest posts