Leisure Battery

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDM68

Reaction score
Looking for leisure battery recomendations for out '72 crossdresser, the battery will be located under the spre wheel in the engine bay and be connected to a split charger (JK). we currently have a standard spare starter battery but would like something a bit more suitable. We also have a Solar panel kit from JK that we can use to top it up.

Want to keep it simple and am a little confused by which bettery types would be suitable.

Many thanks

LDM68 said:
Looking for leisure battery recomendations for out '72 crossdresser, the battery will be located under the spre wheel in the engine bay and be connected to a split charger (JK). we currently have a standard spare starter battery but would like something a bit more suitable. We also have a Solar panel kit from JK that we can use to top it up.

Want to keep it simple and am a little confused by which bettery types would be suitable.

Many thanks

Bit beyond me all this modern shenanigans with lecketricks. There is over on the LateBay, a bit of a thread in Mech Tech about different styles of batteries from leisure to lead acid to lithium and loads of pros and cons to each one. Might be worth a little read as there are some guys over there that have a bit of an idea.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, Worth-a read :mrgreen:

If you want to keep it simple get a lead acid leisure battery. There are really big ones 110 Amp Hour for example, but they are big and heavy. It all depends and how much use off grid you will need. If you've got a solar panel to keep it topped up and you aren't going to be camping a lot in the winter, with the longer nights and less sun available, then something around 80Ah should be ok.
I have an 80Ah battery that is similar is size to the starter battery and has lasted well. This is despite me getting a fridge a couple of years ago and running the battery down accidentally twice ! Once when a fuse went on the split charger, and once when a wire got loose. I don't have a hook up so rely on the solar to keep it topped up when camping and its been fine.

A piece of advice, for what it's worth make sure you buy a solar controller that is a genuine MPPT controller.

A lot of China cr.p out there so do your research. MPPT controllers are more expensive but worth the money in the long run.
Genuine ones are nothing less than 70/80 Watt.( I think). I bought what I thought was an MPPT controller at 30W for around £35, only
to find out upon opening it that it was false advertising.
Eventually ended up purchasing this....It's all about what they do inside. :lol: :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392452445360

Good luck.

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks - will have a look at the sizes for 80 & 110Ah batteries.

The solar kit was from Just Kampers (fold-up)
https://www.justkampers.com/100w-ultralight-fold-up-solar-panel.html
So am guessing not the ideal controller.

The controller is probably OK but it doesnt say if its PWM or MPPT. I would guess the former as the whole package is only 230 quid.

As for the battery, I answered your same question on the late bay forum, and what I believe is the correct battery to get if you're going lead-acid ;) I have it, and I can tell you it fits perfectly under the spare-wheel well, and the terminals are the right way around (positive left, negative right, facing the engine). That way there's no change of the positive hitting the wheel well (cover the terminal as you install/remove it though for safety). It's the largest Ah battery you can get in lead-acid that will physically fit.

If you've got money to burn, and you need to power more than a diesel heater, I'd get a lithium (I'm building my own). But you can't just wire them straight in like lead-acids, or you'll destroy your alternator.

Thought I should update, in the end I opted for a slightly smaller one than I was hoping for but given how tight the space is I am relatively happy.

ABS LP85-L

I will let you know how we get on

Latest posts