Lowering Gurus wanted - The Gaz shock thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
67westy said:
Been a while since I did it but I believe you need 2 adjustable track rods, you probably have one adjustable and one fixed at the moment

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That ^^^ was the one thing. And the fitting of them was the other. I can’t remember off the top of my head, but one way gives massive tracking issues and the other way is correct. I’m sure it’s mentioned in the last few pages of this thread and a few other places.

Ozziedog,,,, Return of the thread, return of the thread, re,,, :mrgreen:

So I made a start on this tonight but a bit stuck.
I’m at the stage of fitting the new torsion arms/spindle assembly but I can’t get the leaves to line up, they’re all out of ‘round’ due to the pre-tension on them.
What am I missing/doing wrong.
Thanks.

jude7789 said:
So I made a start on this tonight but a bit stuck.
I’m at the stage of fitting the new torsion arms/spindle assembly but I can’t get the leaves to line up, they’re all out of ‘round’ due to the pre-tension on them.
What am I missing/doing wrong.
Thanks.

I zip tie them together, you can leave the zip tie on, it wont hurt.

Thanks Clem.
Ive had a few responese elsewhere and i think i know where ive messed up.
Im trying to do it one side at a time i.e the wheel is still on the ground on the nearside.
NOT ONCE, DID ANYONE TELL ME TO DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!!! 😆
In all the videos and facebook/forum posts, not a single time has it been implicitly stated you need to have the whole front in the air and dismantle both spindles at the same time.
Ive since been told this is whats causing my issues as the torsion leaves are being twisted due to the other side still being loaded.
I have also learned that the spindle/torsion arms DO split, i bought my set secondhand and they arrived with the arms attached to the spindles. I read about the balljoints being locked in place on the T/Haus set up, put 2&2 together and came away with completely the wrong answer, i got confused as they were already attached.
So, armed with this new information i think ill have some more success.
However, taking the other side off will now be a challange as ive only left myself about 18 inches clearence to my garage wall 😳, thought id park the bus so as to give myself as much room to work as possible but in doing so have made my life WAY harder.

Hi everyone, I fitted Gaz shocks on Friday and drove the van over the weekend to beaulieau VW show and it was a better ride than before, still need some adjustment. Just wondering have any of you guys cut back your bump stop arms on your beams to avoid rubbing on the coils? Mine seem very close. I've tried looking at all the photos on here but I can't tell, any advice anyone has for would be great.

Thanks in advance Dan

Igotaholeybus said:
Hi everyone, I fitted Gaz shocks on Friday and drove the van over the weekend to beaulieau VW show and it was a better ride than before, still need some adjustment. Just wondering have any of you guys cut back your bump stop arms on your beams to avoid rubbing on the coils? Mine seem very close. I've tried looking at all the photos on here but I can't tell, any advice anyone has for would be great.

Thanks in advance Dan
I haven't cut mine

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Any one running these with dropped spindles (Flipped) and are ok?

gaz1.jpg

(Ignore the size its a picture I nicked)

Heritage list them as "GAZ Shock Absorber For Dropped Spindle Pair > Vw bay window 1968 79 1968-1979"

https://www.vwheritage.com/ac413z007-gaz-shock-absorber-for-dropped-spindle-pair-vw-spare

Not sure that these will assist the springs as is our original intention because these are shock absorbers only. The coil overs help with the damping/ shock absorption as well as their coil springs helping the torsion springs and stiffening them up,

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, that was after several pints ;) :mrgreen: ;) ;)

Ok, I am aware this is the "comfort for lowered" thread.
But does anybody have experience with them on a stock height bus?
I am talking about the 160/105/b12 GP which has 16" open and 10.5" closed.

Would they work on stock hight?
Would they be long enough to lift the front by an inch with 10" springs?
Or would you suggest the 180/115/b12 version if I want to reuse my springs?

Earl Bay said:
Ok, I am aware this is the "comfort for lowered" thread.
But does anybody have experience with them on a stock height bus?
I am talking about the 160/105/b12 GP which has 16" open and 10.5" closed.

Would they work on stock hight?
Would they be long enough to lift the front by an inch with 10" springs?
Or would you suggest the 180/115/b12 version if I want to reuse my springs?

Interesting, I`m gonna be going back to stock and possibly up an inch or so if I can re arrange my garage door arrangement. I`ve had enough of trying to squeeze under the van with my ample tum :lol: :roll: :lol: I guess I`ll be rolling the off road ish look, might even get a firestick or a mag mount or poss a DV27 :roll: ;) :roll:
I`m guessing they`d toughen up and assist your stock torsion springs, but as to lift , I just can`t think you`d get much more than a fraction of an inch in actual lift. But give the guys a phone call that make these custom shocks and ask them, I remember them being extra helpful when I ordered mine a few years back .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,then let us know ta :mrgreen:

Latest posts