Missing servo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aardvark

Reaction score
Hello friends
My axle stand arrived this morning so finally managed to get under the van and that has raised more questions.
I couldn't see a servo so assumed that it was under the belly pan. I took that off and found that there is just the master cylinder there which is obviously attached to the brake pedal.
My van is 1972 with front discs so I thought it should have had. It has been fitted with a new front beam very recently and there is a servo mount for left & right fitment on it. I would like to add one so my question is what parts would I need to do a conversion? Obviously a servo and master cylinder, but what else? Any particular servo etc to buy?
The brakes work but it takes much more pressure on the lever than necessary.
Thanks
Andy.

Forgot to say that I have a vacuum connection on the inlet manifold that's been blanked.
Andy

I've just had a servo fitted to my '71 by James Wotton of VeeDub and Outlaw flat four fame and he gave me this part list having fitted many over the years;-
Cool Air - 211612103GC brake servo and master cylinder kit £175
Just kampers - J41029 brake fluid reservoir; J11061 brake vacuum non return valve; J41883 servo brake push rod; J39336 servo bracket; total £85
Once fitted, the servo accentuated an imbalance when braking, pulling sharply to the nearside, so he also fitted new calipers - late ones fit but you also need to get the spacers and longer bolts, from VW Heritage, although you can get refurb kits if you want to stay original
Have to say the difference is similar to having power steering retrofitted, much easier to steer and stop, feels more like a modern car, none of that standing on the brakes heart in mouth feeling

Latest posts