Missing thermostat and flaps.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigelDenham

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Danbury Tintop
Hi everyone, I don’t appear to have any parts on my 1600 twin port regarding the thermostat and fan housing flaps. No bracket, linkages, thermostat or flaps. I know a lot of people don’t seem to have them, but it does seem to take a long time for the oil to come up to temperature. Will the only option be to try to find used parts or a complete s/h fan housing? I can only see the thermostat, bracket and initial linkage available readily.

Your best bet is to get a complete 2nd hand fan housing, then acquire thermostat, bracket and rod.
my first thought, but the only ones I’ve seen so far didn’t have any flaps either. I may just have to keep looking!

I bought one of his sets. My local VW boutique balked at taking on the installation job, but it’s summer and they’re swamped with work.

Without a thermostat or flaps, the engine takes a long time to come up to temperature and that means that your heater is less effective than a mouse’s breath.

You don't need flaps or stat. I have a Porsche 912 in a Beetle and a T2 without flaps for years and never had a problem. You are unlikely to be using your car when it is minus 5 or 10? That is when they would be needed.

That’s ok if you live in Texas, or some hot country. You need these to stop premature engine wear when cold. The flaps specifically direct air to the heads when open too.It is personal preference but they put them there for a reason. I sourced everything needed for my new build to make the engine as reliable as possible. Mine didn’t have flaps or stat either, but and when I replaced the engine, the bores were scored due to this. The new pistons and barrels had only covered 20,000 miles. That wasn’t my issue though, I had to replace my engine because of a huge amount of end play.

Latest posts