mot change

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobie

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
anyone know more about this

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1970s-bangers-bypass-mots-to-join-ranks-of-classic-cars-zjsk9brqp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/554763/historic-vehicles-consultation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mmmm
I am not in favour of this
It does not mean you can have an unroadworthy vehicle besides if you have an accident
There maybe some room for mud slinging
Insurance wise etc
;)

This has been on for ages now, they delayed it all cause of the brexit stuff

The EU originally recommended all cars over 30 years be MOT exempt and couldn't be modified in anyway.

Being the EU it was largely b01ocks and unmanageable in the real world.

The UK said that pre 60 cars might have to take MOTs again, but they appear yo have changed their minds.

I owned a pre 60 beetle so was panicing if they removed the exemption

Reading all 5 possible options aren't great

I'm in favour of the basic roadworthiness test personally.

A lot of VW owners will panic at the

and introduce a VHI certification process to ensure a vehicle has not been substantially altered

Good job I'm going stock!

A lot of volksrods would need to take a regular MOT if not VHI certed and would prob fail a normal MOT so be unusable on the road.

Looks like Option 3 will go through. No panic, it'll make life easier. :)

You can get MOT's if you'd like. Any vehicle must be roadworthy no matter how old the MOT is. Pricewise, it hasn't done the barndoor or split bug market any harm! :D

Interestingly, the introduction of mot tests did not appear have any significant effect on the (small) number of road accidents attributed to vehicle faults here or indeed at my Canadian friends location. Puzzling.

I suspect mobile phones are much more of a threat than old cars.

Clem said:
Looks like Option 3 will go through. No panic, it'll make life easier. :)

Not for anyone with chassis notches, tubbed wheelarches or other similar modifications.

Webbaldo has picked up on the key part of it:
Webbaldo said:
A lot of VW owners will panic at the

and introduce a VHI certification process to ensure a vehicle has not been substantially altered

Good job I'm going stock!

If vehicles are inspected against the (IMO, flawed) 8 point system and are found to be 'radically altered' (which would include a bus with tubbed arches, chassis notches, or splitscreen buses with a steering box raise) they then have to go for a BIVA test and be re-registered. The BIVA requires, amongst things, E-marked glass and has requirements for exterior projections which makes exterior roof gutters pretty much a no-no... so a standard early bay wouldn't pass.

Tofufi said:
'radically altered' (which would include a bus with tubbed arches, chassis notches, or splitscreen buses with a steering box raise)

Where are you seeing the guidelines for substantially altered? This is the key point of course - Id argue initially that tubs, notched chassis' and box raise sections wouldnt be classed as substantial - as opposed to say, a body drop or body swap - but happy to see otherwise. :)

Clem said:
Tofufi said:
'radically altered' (which would include a bus with tubbed arches, chassis notches, or splitscreen buses with a steering box raise)

Where are you seeing the guidelines for substantially altered? This is the key point of course - Id argue initially that tubs, notched chassis' and box raise sections wouldnt be classed as substantial - as opposed to say, a body drop or body swap - but happy to see otherwise. :)

It was clarified by the ACE (Association of Car Enthusiasts) before they folded. Their website isn't active, but you can see a cache of it here :) :

https://web.archive.org/web/20110831214502/http://www.the-ace.org.uk/Chassis-and-Monocoque-Modification.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The way I (and many others) read it, chassis notches, tubs, steering box raises and any other modification to the monocoque structural panels (i.e. chassis rails) would be considered a 'radically altered' vehicle, and need a BIVA. There seems to be a lot of people doing these mods while not being aware that if the DVLA spot it it'll be a problem.

The new MOT proposals seem to increase the risk of getting caught...

For those not yet aware, the DVLA 8-point rule information can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read those answers and think they fall into the grey area they discuss, though I admit it could go bad.

Any bus that isn't a Westy/Sunroof model that has a full length roof, such a Dormy/Viking could also fall foul?

Clem said:
I read those answers and think they fall into the grey area they discuss, though I admit it could go bad.

Any bus that isn't a Westy/Sunroof model that has a full length roof, such a Dormy/Viking could also fall foul?

Given that they've said you're not allowed to cut the bulkhead to fit twin carbs, I'd be surprised if you were allowed to cut chunks out of the chassis.

Maybe this might be OK:
IMG_0009.jpg

but I'd imagine bigger cuts, particularly on this scale:
ff8ac2ee.jpg

would be an issue.

With the issue of sunroofs, I'd think the DVLA would normally class the roof skin as an unstressed panel.

The roof supports though get chopped out they'd be structural?

I wonder if it will become one of these things that just can't be governed properly and as such most Mods just sail through ? until a road side VOSA check catches you out.

Clem said:

Thank fcuk I've got a stock Westy then :shadey:

The other point to note is in the consultation:

The Directive also refers to VHIs as being ‘hardly used on public roads’, and we wish to consider whether we should restrict the annual mileage for VHIs exempted from testing. Many insurers include a mileage limit in policies for VHIs as a way of reducing premiums.

*Sam* said:
I wonder if it will become one of these things that just can't be governed properly and as such most Mods just sail through ? until a road side VOSA check catches you out.

I think this will be it. I anticipate self certification and everyone ticks the 'compliant' box :D

*Sam* said:

I can see it now!
Being stopped at the side of the road and some Nipper with a Bentley Manual in hand
It should be .......err 400mms off the ..um. :lol:

CornishSilver said:
monkeyvanwestybike said:
CornishSilver said:
Thank fcuk I've got a stock Westy then :shadey:
You haven't you've got them shiney new carbs now haven't you! :tongue0013:
Oh yeah, Lol Surely they wouldn't pick on me Carbs!!
Only kidding you'll be ok Cornish
I think the first sign of this will be kit cars custom cars and the like
I don't know what will happen about Subaru engines though.

Latest posts