MOT'd and saving the day.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjc

Reaction score
Thought i'd start a bit of a build tread on this. last year before ebi i decided i needed a bus so started having a look about and went to look at a few bays ended up finding one freshly imported from Alabama not a very dry state and all the bus had been painted in some creamish paint (which i later discovered is tough as concrete) but the interior was nice and original paint.
So i made a low ball offer with the condition the chap mot it and sort out the sill that was pop rivited on.
Got a phone call while i was at ebi and it was mine.
Waited for about 2 months for it to finally be delivered with a fresh mot.
Not however without a fair few problems as it wouldnt start to drive off the trailer. :roll:
Started rubbing at the cream paint that very night in the hopes it would quickly come off and i would have a lovely red bus.
What i actually had was this
start.jpg

Although that picture was taken at the hotrod national thing in Ipswich so hat was about 3 weeks of rubbing the paint and fixing various bits
This had now become my daily driver when it wanted to work

Not being a fan of the comical ride height i though i best get on with sorting it out, first step was to find a splitty beam. i managed to score a full spindle to spindle set up that as a bonus had been narrowed some inchs not to sure on the exact measurement. Unfortunately the adjusters where crap so i had to take the beam apart to sort that issue.
Chucked it all together and notched the chassis at the front after finding the trackrods wouldn't go back on.
Also dropped the back a spline.
56824f4c.jpg

yep still pretty high oh and i bought some radars and ran the fronts for a while and the 14inch steels good look :lol:
Then i decided to swap out the singleport for a twinport for some reason not to sure why to be honest as its certianley isn't any quicker ha ha
Also as i was using it everyday the stock brakes where starting to scare me a bit. So i got these.
294032_270162499673273_100000385750580_899908_771008876_n.jpg

much better stopping now :lol:
about this time i ran out of money sharpish so attempted to shift some spare at an autojumble
321538_269007266455463_100000385750580_894884_1274965326_n.jpg

was't a big sucess to be honest so progress on the bus slowed a little as christmas was approaching

At some point before christmas i dropped the front to the lowest setting on the adjusters and dropped the back another spline getting me to here
317153_262431380446385_100000385750580_869887_919921803_n.jpg

as you can see i have been busy paint stripping as well :cry: takes forever and is so tedious
Decided i needed to sort the horrible ride out as i was running no shocks because the shock mounts had been cut off my trailing arms.
However though i might as well get my spindles dropped at the same time so this is what happened next
897e91be.jpg

2a2fe972.jpg

While the spindles where away being dropped i had a little mock up and realised my wheels would no longer fit in the arches
Best not mess about then
4c59de07.jpg

new mock up should have enough space to drop it properly at the front now
ba9abf52.jpg

This was all being done on tuesdays only as it was my only day off and as the bus was off the road my only transport was my feet joy :lol:
After a couple of weeks i got both the tubs in and my spindles turned up. then a couple of weeks ago i helped a mate remove his beam from a his 72 beetle and got a hand getting my spindles on. After walking them home half an hour walk with 2 staffies and bus spindles in your back pack in the pissing rain made me pretty determined to get it back up and running quick sharp
Back on the road just in time for this
5e07e30a.jpg

unfortunately the suspension settled and i realised i had to redo my notch on the passenger side.
laying underneath it in the snow welding was a barrel of laughs but all done now
e1b72d0e.jpg

fca20dd6.jpg

5f23252e.jpg

f5466f32.jpg

cheers chap yours is pretty dam cool too.
just need to get on with notching the back after i have ticked of some of the more essential things ha ha
3 weeks to get it to ninove :shock:

cheers dude, is that all it is :shock: stupid money holding me back :( would have loved to have gone again. Defiantly do it next year. Enjoy mate 8)

Ash

saw this at the suffolk bugr's autojumble can't remember exactly when that was, might have been october? anyway it looks cool as!! :D

dubscum said:
cheers dude, is that all it is :shock: stupid money holding me back :( would have loved to have gone again. Defiantly do it next year. Enjoy mate 8)

Ash
as long as i manage to get the bus ready i shall enjoy ha ha
sure i will see you at a shows later in the year

sjc said:
dubscum said:

Ash
as long as i manage to get the bus ready i shall enjoy ha ha
sure i will see you at a shows later in the year

you will mate

its getting there hoping to get the few essential bits of work done next week then possibley notch the rear before ninove but its all time nad that seems to be running out

c387a8a6.jpg

took this last night on my phone think its looking pretty high for some reason. need to get the back end down
and want to get the front down a couple more inchs but think i need smaller tyres for that

took it to a local meet yesterday after changing the exhaust,
the tailpipe is just a standard affair bodged onto a 4-1 header its a bit on the loud side so might need to get an actual box.
however the tailpipe was full of oil :shock: and somehow i filled the bus with nice white smoke. :oops:
422506_10150679925514524_286735689523_11449324_1336100723_n.jpg

here it is airing out before the drive home with all windows wide open :lol:
hope to get some new shocks for the front soon as mine are bottoming out

took a couple of pics yesterday morning in tesco
cd4ef74a.jpg

e19d64a6.jpg

and i also got my new long block
2110 with street eliminator heads and a few other tasty bits
93cad099.jpg

doesnt look very exciting does it :lol: but it only has a 1000 miles on it and a stack of receipts for the build.

Good work Sam, you can tell me all about it tomorrow morn when Cat is stabbing me!

i can't i'll be cruising down to dover tomorrow morning chap. see you in ninove hopefully

Im loving it so far man! Very cool! Do you have anymore info/pics on the tubs? I gotta tub mine soon and gotta start doin some research..... and I have a similar set up but running 165/55/14's.

Latest posts