Motor ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have a Beetle case and not sure how good that is till its stripped. Rebuild/upgrade your old motor , depends how much dinero you can chuck at it.

67panel said:
I only have a Beetle case and not sure how good that is till its stripped. Rebuild/upgrade your old motor , depends how much dinero you can chuck at it.

Yup, but everything about this motor seems to be doing the Salsa ever since I bought it brand new (Brazilly) , but maybe if I strip it down, I might find out why it’s so poor. I’m thinking about a big end going south sometime soon. :roll: I’m also fairly sure it’s gonna blow soon.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,try and get something in line a bit quick :mrgreen:

sparkywig said:
I've got a partially disassembled type 3 engine at the lockup, it will fit a bus, but you'll have to strip and rebuild it.

Cheers Wig, I can do that to the piece of crap I’ve got. I was more looking for something plug and play :mrgreen: I was trying to get to the Castle which is possible with this one if I don’t drive it anywhere else but I was also trying to do Techenders but that’s in Lutterworth and I reckon it’ll go bang before then. Just trying to Chuck something in there and rebuild mine over the winter without any rush on . If I’m investing in this old Brazilly thing then I’ll maybe go a tiny bit bigger but not stroking crazy like you and Karlos.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, 25K I reckon it’s done :roll: ;) :mrgreen: ;) :roll:

If you want plug'n'play than how about this?

Fully built 2058, just need to change the type 3 tin and it'll bolt straight in. Only 4 bolts you know.
Debating whether to keep it and put it in the deluxe, or sell it to fund the deluxe build.

sparkywig said:

Fully built 2058, just need to change the type 3 tin and it'll bolt straight in. Only 4 bolts you know.
Debating whether to keep it and put it in the deluxe, or sell it to fund the deluxe build.

Keep it, you’ll regret it later on if you sell it. I got the proper hump with mine last night after I changed the oil again and dropped the strainer, I think I’ve got a bit of thrust bearing in there. So I took the bumper off and started to pull things off, then my mate saved the day and took me up the pub. So I’m out there this morning trying to remember which four bolts I gotta take out :( :lol: :( I was in a right piss down there last night and banged my shins on the noisey cupboard lid a couple of times, so I whipped that off, then it’s still connected to the number plate light so I’ve undone that and I can’t get the spades off one handed so I’ve reached for the cutters, it was going downhill rather quick and might have ended in a brawl and me taking my pick axe handle to it :shock: :shock: :shock: . So just as well I was taken off at half time and retired to the pub :roll: So it might be a nice idea to have some sort of snap connection to the number plate light as a just in case when it’s coming out next.
This was the reason I spent out on this new engine that turned out to be the worstest engine I’ve ever had but we live and learn. Not sure where this motor came from but it’s a Brazilian thingy, so I’ll rebuild it now and pop it back in. I was trying to keep him on the road for the Castle, but we’ll see if any machining is required later on today or this evening. I’d best have a tidy of the garage before I go crazy in there :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,and breath,,,,,so where’s these four bolts then ? :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

mike202 said:
Sorry to hear about the engine and hope you can rebuild it [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rebuild it? I’ve everything required in my garage (almost) I’ve got four inch nails, two inch screws, every screw and bolt out of every washing machine that’s died in our care, I’ve got cable ties, I’ve got reusable cable ties I’ve got cable clips yadda yadda yadda but nuffink to sort this out unfortunately. I’m comprising a shopping list as we speak. Might be time for some new air filters while I’m at it etcetera etcetera etcetera :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, let’s open him up in a minute :mrgreen:

Well I’ve yet to open it up but I ripped it out today after I found something in the strainer. Looks like it might be a piece of shoulder from a thrust bearing, possibly from the cam but the tenner ain’t posh rags as suggested elsewhere, it’s just to give you an idea of size :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,sounded even more dreadful than last weekend :mrgreen:

Well I did say it sounded like cam gears , with the thrust gone its probable chewed the case up--------------------

sparkywig said:

How much? DM or text me 👍

@Ozzie I already have two engines (one mostly built and one split and being cleaned). Might be able to part with one if you are in need..

Cheers George, I’ve taken an absolute age to get the tinware off today and had to drill out every other screw. I’ve now got it in the back of the car and I’ll take up my pals house which handily is opposite the pub. He’s retired now so he’ll have a bit more time to look at it. A chap over on the LateBay has offered to lend me a 1600 single port motor that’s hanging about since he had a 2L type 4 fitted. So what are you doing with all these motors the George? I met up with your dad in Bristol and he gave me those two pieces for Wig. I’ll know in the next day or so what the state of play is with this one then I can regroup and crack on. Are you going to the Castle George with your lovely Mrs ?? Twould be good to see you both :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,So what’s best todo now ? :mrgreen:

I have a 1600cc twin port I just removed from my bay, it’s a turnkey if your interested?

aircool76 said:
I have a 1600cc twin port I just removed from my bay, it’s a turnkey if your interested?

I may very well be, I’m having a few issues getting it apart at the moment, mainly because I’ve had a good clear out in the garage then you don’t realise the repercussions until you are looking for that bit of square box section that has stood in that corner for years and you’ve only looked at it for ages etc etc then you want something to lock the flywheel up with and to fight against when undoing the flywheel and an empty Stella box just won’t cut it :evil:
I’ve dreamed up a solution in my sleep last night, it involves a five foot section of ladder made of ally box section. If I cut the rungs out of it, then use the pressure plate to mark the holes, I could get two or maybe three bolts In to the flywheel and have a section on the top and a section on the bottom bolted to the flywheel leaving me access to the big nut, then space them apart at the opposite end of the lever so they’re working in unison :roll: I’ve gotthree sockets that fit this nut and they’re all 3/4 drive and I don’t have a 3/4 to 1/2 adaptor to use my windy gun or my impact. It got very late last night fannying about looking for inspiration etc

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,then the pub called,,,, :mrgreen:

P.M. pm me if you’d be so kind :mrgreen:

Ozzie, you don't need to take the flywheel off to split the case. Once split, If you have a big enough vice you can use that to hold the flywheel while you undo the gland nut.

Good luck though, I went through a similar process recently before deciding to build a new engine from scratch...

Latest posts