my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andewilson

Reaction score
hi guys just signed up as a member thought id give you a look at my project. its a 1971 j plate brit rhd low lighter. payed £2300 for it off ebay wothout even viewing it. didnt realy have much know how when i bought. i just knew it had to have small rear lights. that was a year ago. after using it to shift rubble around for a while i took it for an mot. and it failed on belly pan holed through. upon removal the rest is history.

Sta70961.jpg

Sta70889.jpg

Sta70659.jpg

Sta70648.jpg

Sta70969.jpg

Sta70675.jpg

the alfa was another ebay prchase. 200 note 80k on the clock
1.7i 16v quad cam boxer flat 4. this is where the engine is gona come from.

this is my last air cooled v dub. owned it 10 years ago before getting sensible and buyin a house

mybeetle.jpg

mybeetle3.jpg

mybeetle2.jpg

i know its not a camper but my camper looks so crappy at the mo i thought id stick a picture of this on

Aren't we the posh one - big garage plus rollover bars :shock:

Only joking - looks like you have your work cut out too!

Love the bug - looked really nice and shiney - shame it had to go :cry:

But now you've got a bay (OK, work in progress, not a bay :D )

Welcome to the site and good luck with the resto 8) Loving the spotlight too :wink: :lol:

gninnam said:
Aren't we the posh one - big garage plus rollover bars :shock:

Only joking - looks like you have your work cut out too!

Love the bug - looked really nice and shiney - shame it had to go :cry:

But now you've got a bay (OK, work in progress, not a bay :D )

its handy having a workshop just round the corner from my house. but the sacrifices to the van project have been big.
had to get rid of my scoot just to pay for the panels and parts alone.

Sta70393.jpg

bought loads of bits at shows and on ebay last year. but buying bits doesnt get your van back on the road. (just fills your loft up)

Cool!

Are those role over bars easy to use? Also when you role it over do you need much extra height above the roof of the van? I have maybe a foot when the bus in the garage.

Cheers

T

Good job so far!

I had to sell my bike as well to fund the project:

DSCF0004.jpg

A bitch ain't it :cry:

Tim said:
Cool!

Are those role over bars easy to use? Also when you role it over do you need much extra height above the roof of the van? I have maybe a foot when the bus in the garage.

Cheers

T

they were very easy to roll the van. they were £440 all to your door from a company up north. this is the basic roller as it is better for limittd height situations. you simply bolt the two archs to your hubs, bolt them tegether with the link bar. then i got 5 mates to help me roll it as i was told that it could roll away with itself. ill measure the height and width etc as my workshop is the tightest space that it is possible to flip it in. i started with it an inch from the wall on one side and when it landed it was an inch from the other. (more luck than judgment).

an inch from the wall! :shock: brown pants time me thinks!

i have a (basic) set of these and was thinking of adding castors so i could move it around, could also roll it over outside the garage and roll it in!

slammedkustom said:
an inch from the wall! :shock: brown pants time me thinks!

i have a (basic) set of these and was thinking of adding castors so i could move it around, could also roll it over outside the garage and roll it in!

http://www.cjautos.org.uk/

this is where i bought mine from, he does rollers that fit to them. bout 100 notes for the wheels so you can tip it outsid then roll it back into you garage. very handy for the guy who contacted me with limited headroom in his garage

Wish I had the money to buy one as this would help a lot!
Any one in the Leeds area want to club together and buy one between us?

R's

progress has been a bit slow of late. two weeks away in june didnt help.
would have liked to have got it flipped the other way by now but have ended up getting bogged down at the front end

Sta71257.jpg

Sta71260.jpg

Sta71259.jpg

Sta71261.jpg

Sta71270.jpg

STA71271Rotated.jpg

didnt think i would be going this far with the resto, but what can you do when someone surrounds every bit of rotten chassis with sheet steel then simply lets the original rot away underneath.they even welded the plates onto the front beam, which ive had to remove so i can remove the beam

Sta71262.jpg

Sta71264.jpg

Sta71266.jpg

its been a while since i took some pics of the progress so i took a few yesterday

STA71519.jpg

STA71525.jpg

STA71526.jpg

STA71524.jpg

STA71532.jpg

STA71537.jpg

STA71528.jpg

STA71527.jpg

i nearly scrapped the project earlier this year due to lack of parts (i cut off a bit too much and couldnt source the bits i needed) but in the last month it has moved on a bit. the front chassis is now solid, the a pillars are now back to their correct lenth as they were 3 inches too short due to rust. the new arches will be going on in a week or two then things will start to come together.

looks like you undertook a major resto. Excellent work so far! 8)

did you get the dimensions of that garage? as im thinking of pitching and extending my own and buying a set of those roling bars.

Liking the chassis - doing a great job so far - glad you decided not to jack it in!!!

Looks like the rollers where a god send - still not sure of I should buy some, but looking at what you have acheived, and I know they will make
working on the chassis a lot easier than squirming underneath. :D

Latest posts