My 68 Westy - as time goes by .....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clem

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A few taken recently ...

100_2103.jpg

100_2102.jpg

100_2099.jpg

100_2096.jpg

100_2089.jpg

100_2087.jpg

100_2086.jpg

looking great as always clem 8)

those decals on the side window, original, or homemade? I covered my van in homemade versions of some of those you have there - looks like you got a nevada and a california, and is that a sioux falls I spy?

Clem, that is a peach.....

somehow I just knew your bus would look as good as that.... :wink: :wink:

Carole

WOW what a cracking camper you must be well chuffed,did you buy it as it is or have you had it restored or done it yourself :?:

What is the hight of you van with the roof down as i am trying to find out if i can fit one in my garage sorry for all the questions :roll:

Cheers all. :)

The cooler actually houses a set of Bose speakers that the iPod plugs into for some 'stealth' ice. They are PC one, so run at 12v and produce some reasonable sound quality.

The truck is my daughters. Of course. ;)

The window decals are original ones, though bought by me from eBay. The four tell its life - The van is from Washington, there was 'stuff' in it from Vegas and Reno, so the Nevada one is justified and the van was sold via California so it must have come though Oregon - if not 'The Beaver State' bit makes it worthwhile .... :lol:

Gazza said:
WOW what a cracking camper you must be well chuffed,did you buy it as it is or have you had it restored or done it yourself :?:

What is the hight of you van with the roof down as i am trying to find out if i can fit one in my garage sorry for all the questions :roll:

Hi, and ta :)

Its mostly as I got it. It was resprayed about 15 or so years ago I reckon, so thats all 'as is'. I stripped the interior out and redid most of the wood, did some vinyl freshening and new curtains. Added the trim, had the wheels repainted and added the trims etc. Nothing too streneoous, but still all time consuming!

The height? Not sure. My last van wasnt as low and fitted in my garage with a rack on, so Im guessing this one will too? If not Ill let the tyres down!n

Hi Clem,

We have been thinking about a camper for a few years and have decided it could be time :D and i would love to do the same as you and get one that only needs minor stuff done and the inside just need to sort out some kind of budget :roll:

carole said:
Clem,

well done, cracking article in the Westfalia Special Magazine, big-up for the early bays!! 8) 8)

Bah! Not seen it yet!

Cheers all :oops:

Just back from me hols in it. Sailed to Bilbao, and then drove up coast thro San Sebastian, St Jean de Luz, Biarrittz, Capreton, Hossegar and upto the biggest sand dune in Europe :shock:

Went to a small meet along the way, invited by a guy with a 71 'Tiki' Westy, who recognised my bus from 'Bug-In' ..... cool, eh?

Ill do some pics soon.

Van was as sweet as a nut, 3 of us fully loaded camping all the time (the only break was a couple of nights in the Radisson at Biarritz for my wifes birthday).
Anyone who says old bays are past it for proper touring/camping isnt trying hard enough ;)

Wierd old sailing from Portsmouth - Bilbao. Half the passengers are on a 'mini-cruise, and just go there and back :? They just get into the caberet and get leathered .....
I reccomend good travel pills too, a Force 8 storm and I was happy as larry ..... like being comfortably stoned 8) Some good whale spotting too :)

Left UK in the rain ....

Ports.jpg

Landed in Bilbao and drove to San Sebastian, dossed on the beach all day, then drove up a mountain to camp

SSeb1.jpg

Next day was up to Biarritz for 2 nights in the Raddisson for Mrs C's birthday

BDay.jpg

Back to the van for a couple of nights at Bidart

Campsite ....

Bidart1.jpg

near the beach

Bidart.jpg

Then upto the Capreton/Hosseger area

Capreton1.jpg

Surf was up...

Surf.jpg

Met some cool guys near the beach....

Meet1.jpg

Meet.jpg

Anyway, next stop the biggest dune in Europe ...

Dune1.jpg

Dune2.jpg

Kipped in its shadow...

Dunecamp.jpg

...under the pines

Pines.jpg

Next back down 'south'

Pit stop

Aire.jpg

Hannah a bit cheesed at the state of the van

Sulk.jpg

A bit of marine life...

Whale.jpg

Busy days tire her out ... (cab bunks rule!)

Kip.jpg

Rookip.jpg

Spotted this on our last evening ....

Hawaii.jpg

Then back to Bilbao for a free nights kip in the ferry queue

Bilbao.jpg

Thanks for looking

:cool:

Looked like a really chilled trip, something high on my list of things to do in a the van when shes fixed.

Latest posts