My '69 Single Cab

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vassy69SC

Reaction score
I love everything lowlight/early bay so thought it about time to put something up here.
I picked this ute up back in March of 2008. After a few years of being without a VW on the road due to me working on a long term project ('54 beetle circuit racer) I decided it was time to ditch the modern dual cab and get back into something that made me smile.
Pics below show myself and the family when we raced down to a different state to have a look at this single cab that had cropped up on ebay.

I was impressed with how clean it was for it's age and the engine sounded great.
I was to be the second registered owner (4th actual owner). It was sold to a primary producer (farmer :) ) in Northern NSW and when they traded it back in the VW dealer that sold it to them liked it so much he added it to his collection of 'someday' cars. Time went by and he didn't get around to doing what he wanted and sold off his collection. One person bought a number of cars off him and I bough the single cab off them.
I gave it a polish up and a good clean and set to work wire wheeling the tray and coating it in POR15 with a top coat of POL tray liner to try and help it survive the elements as a daily driver.

I drove it like this for a year and a half before deciding I needed (wanted) a little more under the right foot.
I had rebuilt a 1600 single port engine (as the original one had crapped itself) which ran beautifully but the thirst for some more HP (and potentially air-con) got the better of me.
I picked up a 2165cc engine from a guy down in Melbourne with some nice gear on it.
Then, with the help of my engine guru Matt Berry we stripped down the engine and rebuilt it to run silky smooth with just on 100HP at the rear wheels.
This engine along with an 1800 kombi gearbox with a 1600 4th gear was installed early 2010.
AS of today, this engine has just under 80,000kms on it and is purring like a kitten.

Specs on the engine are:
• Case: Type I, Auto Linea, 2165cc : 78 x 94
• Heads : CB cnc round port, 40 x 35.5mm s/s valves, performance multi angle valve job, chambers reworked, un-shrouded valves & polished. Stock 1.1:1 rockers, Shimmed HD shafts, Porsche style swivel foot adjusters
• Crankshaft: Scat forged chromoly c/w 78mm, endfloat set to: .027”
• Connecting Rods: Scat I beam ARP 3/8 bolts
• Camshaft : Engle W110, endfloat set to: .002”
• Camshaft manufacturers recommended valve lash : Intake .004”, Exhaust .004”
• Straight cut timing gears with .003” gear lash
• Cylinder spacer fitted: 1.5mm
• Head gasket fitted: .060”
• Combustion chamber volume: 60cc
• Deck height: .060”
• Static compression ratio : 8.6:1
• Carbs: Dellorto 45's
• Distributor : MSD Billet with MSD 6A control box
• Ignition : 32* total advance
• Spark plugs: NGK D6EA
• Clutch: KEP 200mm Stage 1, 1700 lb, dual compound solid disc
• Flywheel: 200mm lightened 12lb, 12V
• Exhaust System: 1 5/8”, 4 into 1, Stainless steel sidewinder with Genie turbo muffler
• Oil system: 26mm blueprinted pump, full flow with filter, cooler and thermostatically controlled fan, deep sump and case modified for improved windage and oil return
• Engine assembly balanced and crank oil clearances set to .0025” - .003”
• Vented tappet covers and oil filler with 3/8” lines and CSP breather box
• Engine oil: ACE 30, 20W-40

I took the single cab out to the 1/4 mile track a few years later and managed some consistent 17.2 second runs.
Not world breaking but some fun none the less. Cool pic from that night

That engine is absolutely banging. Exactly the kind of thing I'd love to have in my bus - if my wallet allowed such things!

The next part of the story is the longest and most expensive
I decided that the bodywork needed to no done but the original plan was to just repair patches and leave the paint as is with an appropriate repair to match existing.
The turning point was when it became obvious that we would be unable to undertake some critical repairs without removing and replacing the load bed tray. Opening a can of worms literally.
It is coming on 2 years now and I won't bore you with all of the 100's of photos. I have had one business do the majority of the panel/steel repair work. It has then gone to an excellent spray painter for preparation and painting. Some pics below to show the highlights.

Well I am a bit excited as the underside of the single cab is now in colour.
Underside has been done in a POL spray that has a mild texture and I have gone for a low sheen finish.
All of the prep of the body and cab interior is already complete so the rest of the spraying will follow fairly soon.
Massive credit to Rod Fuchs who is doing this work for me. His effort and attention to detail is fantastic.
The "love gone wrong" in my title relates to everything about this vehicle going way further than I plan every time lol

Loving your truck,

You should get in touch with Maddog on this forum he runs a club for quick baywindows worldwide.

https://www.facebook.com/Ultimate-Street-Bays-110597968362/?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All he needs is a copy of a timing slip.

All my best with it,

Alex

Very cool SC

We should get ours side and side for a photo
Would be good to see how close the chassis numbers are

Great thread, it's gonna be pretty special when you're done. I wish i had both money and finances my 71 lowlight deserves but it's an absolute pig!

Bus_zpsp6xec1iv.jpg

I'm based in Bundy and running a social club called Bundy Volks so check us out https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bundybugs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and post up pics of your bus as it will surely inspire and motivate others, plus if you're ever up this way enjoying a touch of the good life and the rum then feel free to join one of our cruises or socail nights. Send me your email and i'll add you to the data base for the club mag that i do every other month :0)

Email is [email protected]

Keep the progress reports coming,
Happy Dubbin

Shane Chung

Cool Shane. I'll have a look at that
Well I picked the ute up from the painters yesterday with everything painted except for the outside.
It is now going to have the dash, motor, gearbox, fuel tank and electrics fitted.
It will then go back for the final wet rub and colour for the outside.
It is fantastic and beyond all of my expectations. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Latest posts