myHermes delivery service warning

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this up as a 'word of warning' to anyone using myHermes to send a package - particularly large ones. I got caught out recently, with, what I feel is an unclear and sneaky way of calculating package size.

So, I recently needed to send a box measuring 62 x 63 x 41cm. When booking a parcel in on their website, all you have to do is provide the weight and where it is going. On the next page, some restrictions appear stating that it must be 'less than 120cm in length' and 'a maximum combined length of 245cm.' As I've posted many parcels in my time, I took the maximum combined length as being the sum of all three dimensions, so printed off the postage label, dropped it off, no issues. However, I then receive an email from them asking for a further £11 as the parcel is oversized. As it seems they don't have manned phones, I got on the online chat, only to be told that the maximum combined length is calculated as the sum of the two shortest sides multiplied by 2, plus the longest side. I have never come across another courier company who calculate their parcel size in this manner, and can only assume it is there to catch people out.

Anyway, before I'd even had the chance to speak to anyone, I had a text from the chap receiving the parcel saying that it had arrived, so with that in mind, I've told myHermes that I'm not paying it, and they can do what they will to try and recover the money from me.

Certainly I'll be wary of this in future, and hopefully this post will stop anyone else from making a similar mistake!

Speak as you find. I use Hermes quite a lot to send both small and large parcels ,some heavy, and have never had a problem.Yes they have changed the way you describe your package but I have never encountered the size problem that you had.Robert.

Hermes are, in my opinion, an absolute disgrace where I live.
I sent a pair of carbs that they told me had been delivered but hadn't been.
I received them back eventually, 3 months later, but they had ripped open the box to find the return label but no secured the packaging, so half of the bell crank linkage was lost, yet despite this being their error then refused to accept liability.
I sent them again, and this time they stole the parcel! It was picked up from the local shop - pick up but never received at their depot.
Absolutely disgraceful service.

I also hate Hermes, the delivery driver in my area always drops the parcel at any unit in my Industrial Estate and never bother to leave a card in the post box. And the worse part is that he does that while my shop is open and i am there, which is Mon-Fri!!!!

Abel

To put a different spin on it, I almost always use MyHermes when selling on eBay.

I've never had an item go missing (nothing is in the post at the moment, so I hope this won't jinx it :msn4: ) and it's cheaper than the competition. I've sent around 30 things with them this year so far. When receiving parcels, our local delivery driver knows to leave things in a safe place when we're not in, which is great.

Far better than Royal Mail, who have previously refused to accept pre-paid parcels after I'd booked them online. When I phoned up to complain, they offered to come and collect - and then didn't. Twice. Before saying it was something they clearly couldn't do (despite it being a service they offer) as I'd not paid for it. Not to mention (on delivery) them always taking parcels back to the depot when we've asked them time and time again not to... including a note to that effect on the door, and speaking with umpteen postmen and women.

I'm a fan of MyHermes :)

Tofufi said:
To put a different spin on it, I almost always use MyHermes when selling on eBay.

I've never had an item go missing (nothing is in the post at the moment, so I hope this won't jinx it :msn4: ) and it's cheaper than the competition. I've sent around 30 things with them this year so far. When receiving parcels, our local delivery driver knows to leave things in a safe place when we're not in, which is great.

Far better than Royal Mail, who have previously refused to accept pre-paid parcels after I'd booked them online. When I phoned up to complain, they offered to come and collect - and then didn't. Twice. Before saying it was something they clearly couldn't do (despite it being a service they offer) as I'd not paid for it. Not to mention (on delivery) them always taking parcels back to the depot when we've asked them time and time again not to... including a note to that effect on the door, and speaking with umpteen postmen and women.

I'm a fan of MyHermes :)

And me, the local chap is brilliant.

I almost always use MyHermes to send stuff. The convenience of onlinine pricing, paying by Paypal and being able to drop off parcels at my convenience at a local 24 hour garage makes it a great option. I've not yet had any issues with stuff missing - in EVERY event thus far of missing parcels being reported to me, I respond to the buyer showing them delivery details and they suddenly realise they do have it after all! :lol:

Parcels being delivered to me via the PO, Hermes, Yodel etc are the usual lottery depending on who is doing it, but we have a decent neighbour network so someone usually takes it. I don't moan too much about delivery - have a look into the working conditions, pay rates and targets imposed on couriers these days and see why things might get slapdash :(

Latest posts