Mystery Floor Holes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay_Buster

Reaction score
Evening all,

Anybody know what any of these are for?

I'm guessing the bigger ones may be for hot air outlets and some of the smaller ones are for bolting seats in? I'm going to weld them up shortly unless anyone flags up a use for them. Only thing I can think of is possibly saving one for running wires in - there will be side units in eventually with a fridge, interior lights etc. But not knowing where the wires will run, or what grommet size will be used makes me think I should just weld them all up for now.

Another day, another bunch of questions :mrgreen:

I’m pretty sure that any of the seat ones would have a captive nut in there or at least a decent chunk of metal to hook under. The big one at the rear might be an exhaust for a propex as it looks to be under the rock and roller, the fronts could perhaps be sink waste and a gas dump. Hard to tell, just guesses I’m afraid. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, floor looks great though :mrgreen:

The ones in the centre (there should be two rows of them) you may see a tapped thread inside. These usually have black plastic screw-in plugs in them, IF your bus doesn't have bus seats fitted. They are for mounting seats or seat belts, I can't remember which. The smaller ones in front of the rear wheel arches are drain holes for something and are usually plugged up with cone shaped rubber grommet/bungs which are actually still available (not easy to find but there's a GM part number which matches) but I just 3D printed off 6 in TPU rubber for that role. The big hole in the middle I don't think is factory I can't answer that. Maybe someone had a Propex under the rear seat. The larger holes at the front, I don't know. I've got small holes here, maybe 10-12mm, I don't know what those or yours are for either, sorry.

Cheers for the info! I should have pointed out that these are new floor panels, original VW, that I bought quite a few years ago now - I assume they were made in Brazil so probably some differences to the OG parts.

Ozziedog - the old floor was a lot worse with wrinkly-tin roofing patches all over the place...

I guess I'll just weld everything up for now then, and drill new holes for wires when I know exactly where stuff is going! I may get a propex in the future, but it's certainly not on the critical path for now. Gotta get back on the road first :shock:

If you do weld that thin stuff, be careful there’s no waxoil or similar on the underside. Dont ask me how I know…

Latest posts