Narrowed Beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always consider the quality and performance of the shock absorbers when discussing road handling stability and safety . Many after market shocks are rubbish, cheap and cheerful ?? dangerous and to be avoided normally

We are about to sponsor this forum and promote the KONI shock absorbers that we fit extensively to T 5 T 6 and T 6.1

These are clear market leaders and brilliant performance .

Well Shocker Boy , Your in for a Shock.... As MOST Early Baywindows DONT take the same shocks as T5s/6s or even the 6.1s...... 😉
I don’t think that was being inferred bud. But I guess they’ll have some that will fit, hopefully. :rolleyes: Koni always been good stufff :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,might be time for some new shox then :)

The correct term for them are dampers which regulate the "up /down" movement. All manufacturers/suppliers even call them shocks! Even Google has it wrong and wikipedia calls it both! Springs for vehicles are shock absorbers. (there are many types of springs for many applications) Imagine what would happen if you drove your vehicle without springs. You would be driving a roller skate as the "shock absorbers" would bottom out against the bump stops if you have any! I am sure you all have experienced what weak or dead dampers feel like.

Well Shocker Boy , Your in for a Shock.... As MOST Early Baywindows DONT take the same shocks as T5s/6s or even the 6.1s...... 😉
I was simply referring to the 2000 plus T 5, T 6 vans we have done with KONI shocks over the last 2 years and where we earned our reputation as a leading suspension supplier /.. Everyone likes to see credibility nowadays dont they ??

we also like to see a sense of humour ??

But i am happy to see there are is plenty of sense of humour on this site .

BUT for the people who dont know what KONI means in the suspension business .

OEM supplier to Lambourghini, Mclaren , Aston Martin . and many T5 T6 transporter campers ha ha , Involvement in Formula 1 since 1958 and 20 plus world titles in that time . A damper manufacturer that has been around longer than all the main industry names.

A "damper" ( is the correct name used by professionals ) turns Kinetic energy ( movement ) into heat and the heat is dissipated through the damper housing to atmosphere . a damper working hard can get so hot you will struggle to hold it and this is why they should be changed regularly as the oil is working almost as hard as the engine oil !!! The control , (damping) of the spring frequency is what gives a vehicle its stability and handling characteristics but a spring is not normally known as a shock absorber , its function is to hold the weight of the vehicle .

Dampers are normally 4 times harder to rebound than bump this is because when a vehicle hits a bump the spring force under compression needs less control from the damper than on rebound where the spring forces are higher

One of my ancient mechaniky type mates is extremely fond of correcting inaccuracies in engineering terminology. Whenever I refer to shocks for instance, I will immediately be corrected with
'Road Spring Dampers'
And another one he hates with a vengeance is tracking!
But he's still my mate and I'll say it all the more!

Ozziedog,,,,, wheel alignment

Öhlins USA
Just get a set of Öhlins Adventure or Road and Track advanced suspension technology shocks/dampers. Öhlins Racing Selected as Exclusive Shock Supplier for NASCAR® Cup Series’ ‘Next Gen’ Car Only Öhlins has Dual Flow Valve (DFV) technology on its road and track products. https://www.ohlinsusa.com/ohlins-unique-dual-flow-valve-tech.

KONI / EIBACH "Kits" previously used. Now prefer Öhlins suspension for VW, Porsche and Ducati vehicles. 🍻

Latest posts