Need some seat fitting info please.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aircoolsteve

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 72 crossover bay and all the seat adjusters have been buzzed off. I want to reinstate original seats (walk-through). I've seen a lot of seats on the well known auction site and I'm looking at welding the runners back in after I buy them.

The thing is, I don't have the info on exactly what seats were fitted to my bus in the first place. I keep finding seats that don't appear to have anything that looks like a runner or fixing on the bottom. Are these passenger seats? (non adjustable)? Or maybe there's something missing from the seat?
And, of course, were there some different seat rails fitted to later bays that I don't know about? Perhaps there's a thread on here that may explain all?

Any pics with some info on this would be very welcome before I buy anything!! Steve

The seat rails don't come with the seats, they're fixed to the wheel tubs.
If you need seat rails, butty's bits sells them. Take your pick.

https://www.buttysbits.com/product-category/bay-window/seat-mounts-bay-window/

The passenger seats fit by having a bar across the rear of the underside of the swab that fits into a C shaped cup in the bracket, and there are two brackets for the passenger seat. Each of these brackets has two C shaped cut outs (cups) so you effectively have two seat positions giving approximately an inch and a half adjustment back or forth. These are little more than pieces of angle iron, I’ll get a pic when I’m down the garage. The front of the swab is held by gravity alone and praps a little tension formed when the seat is forced into position into the cups and the seat back is forced down and then hooked onto the bulkhead . The drivers seat is conventional with two runners as Sparkywig has shown above. Then it gets a little more confusing when vendors of second hand seats have LHD and RHD in their ads :x

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, gets confusing dunnnnit :mrgreen:

Here is the drivers seat runners on my RHD or as Mr Wiggy so eloquently puts it
“””UK Shitter””

Red box there to give a little contrast for a clearer view when you blows it up :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,and there’s more :shock:

Passenger seat RHD showing the two C cups which are the positions or adjustments available effort the passenger but no adjustments when in use. Also you can see the bulkhead bracket that the hook on the rear of the seat engages with.

The bar that engages with these cups is barely visible and only just exposed where the seat coverings are stretched on the right hand side of the seat base.
To install, you have to squeeze the back and the base together or towards each other very very tightly, then pop the seat on an angle so the bar engages in the cups then push the swab up at the front and the seat back down into the cups and hook the seat into the hook on the bulkhead. It is a bit of a faffffff with more than one f for sure.

Ozziedog ,,,,hopefully you’ll still have the original holes in your bulkhead :mrgreen:

On the first and fifth picture, you can see the seat belt point repair has grey galv paint on it which will give you a reference as to where you’re looking :mrgreen: The lovely lovely Stanley glove is there for a little visual contrast :mrgreen: .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,I’ve made it way too complicated (again) :mrgreen:

Latest posts