Buddy 1970 Early Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granite

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Camper
Hi All,
It's now been proved, I have lost my mind. I last owned a 1977 Westphalia which I sold in 1985. I recently bid at an Auction for a 1970 VW Type 2 and won.
Buddy has been fairly well restored, and bodywork is good. The 1600cc engine is fantastic and runs like a sewing machine. The wiring loom and fuses are awful and are currently being worked on. I've fitted a leisure battery and split charging system. I've also fitted LED interior lights. The Steering box needed changing and has been done.
The van was fitted with a rock and roll bed which for some reason has been welded to the floor, so that has to be sorted out. With all this I'm happy with my purchase, there is enough work waiting to last me a lifetime. But, I love it.

GrantK

Attachments

• 233F75C5-EA80-46A9-BD98-94E654ED73EE.jpeg
    233F75C5-EA80-46A9-BD98-94E654ED73EE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Hi Grant,

Welcome to Earlybay and back to bay ownership 😄
Congratulations on the win of your lovely bus Buddy!
Looks fantastic and the working on it here and there is what it’s all about 😊
Cheers
Andy

Hey Grant,
welcome to the Earlybay, and that’s a great pic of your bus, it looks to be in fairly good order all round. Not sure if you know but electrics are the work of the devil and there’s a thing or two on these earlies that run permanent live and the switch is the earth so always ask if it ain’t obvious.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, enjoy enjoy and enjoy :)

Nice bus! If it is a 1970 year model (and the hubcaps would indicate that) then it was undoubtedly manufactured in 1969 so that makes it 53 years old. Neither the bus (or it’s owner) are getting any younger, so get that Westy back on the road and go out camping!

Hi Grant, welcome. Nice looking bus, congratulations. Enjoy!

Hi All,
Thanks for all the welcome messages. It's been a long time since I last owned a Westy, getting on for forty years. Now I've got a twin to the first ever bus I owned in 1969. The 2nd one was a Westphalia 2-litre automatic. Buddy is my 3rd Camper. It's really good to be back in the fold! But having said that I've already had problems with the wiring which has been added to and b*ggered about with. Currently I have no ignition. I am replacing the burnt-out ignition switch at the moment. There were 4 wires on the original. Black with a red line, Black (earth) Red and grey. My problem is I can't find where the grey goes to?

Thanks, Sparkywig here's a photo of the M Plate.

Best regards,
Grant

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 17.06.59.png

Here you go Grant, click on the link below and all the details are there.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=15832
It looks like your bus was bought as transport for somebody who had difficulty getting around, or for a private care home.
Thanks, that's very interesting. Despite the fact that Buddy is my 3rd Type 2, I had no idea that so much info was contained on the M plate.

Grant

Latest posts