New in the VW community with a 68 westy !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max_ez

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
Hello everyone,

I've been looking at this forum for a long time but, not having a bay, I had never taken the step of registering: now I have !

PXL-20220725-223818068.jpg

PXL-20220730-181735690.jpg

So I have a 1968 westfalia that I bought early last week. Not quite stock but I like it. I got it like on the first picture, and since then I've already switched back to the original mirrors ( picture 2 )

I've done about 1000km since I got it (what a week ! ) and I thought I'd post my joy but... It doesn't start anymore ! I was at a red light (on a slope) and while accelerating it stalled: no way to start again since. I thought it was running out of petrol but it hasn't started since I put it back in.
If you have any ideas, I'm interested.

And otherwise, I plan to travel with it on holiday, maybe to England and the North Cape.

Best regards

Maxime

Hi Max,

Welcome to Earlybay 🍻
Nice looking Westy!
Does the starter turn the engine over? If not it could be the ignition or starter solonoid.
If it does then check all spark leads are connected especially from coil to distributor, any electrical connections come loose (fuel cut off solo lid on carb).
I’d also check your coil spark, timing spark at TDC and see if the carburettor is getting fuel.
It’s worthwhile getting a copy of John Muirs Idiots guide book for VWs if nothing else it’s a good introduction and it’s good reading.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Andy

Hi Max, welcome along and glad you’ve finally joined. Firstly determine what your issue is. Is there fuel? Pop the air filter off and listen and smell as you operate the accelerator cable in the noisey cupboard, you’ll know if none is getting through because you’ll hear it gushing as you pull it. If it is fuel, Chuck a capful of fuel down the carb / s and try and start it then we have somewhere to start. Look for spark by getting any old spark plug and pop it on a plug lead and leave it on the tin ware while someone cranks it over for you so you can see what’s happening.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,keep us up to speed. :)

Thx guys ! for the informations ;)
I took some time to do some tests tonight and so when I put some start pilot or fuel directly into the carb, the engine starts! Except that it stalls once it has eaten its fuel. Then I put a new fuel filter but it didn't improve the starting.
So I disconnected some hoses to see what happened:
- when I disconnected at the red arrow, engine off, I got a 1 cm ( 0.4 inch ) jet of fuel
- same at the blue arrow, but weaker jet, 0.5cm ( 0.2 inch )
- in the orange arrow, there was no fuel on the whole height?
- I unscrewed the main jet cover plug (green arrow) and I didn't have the impression that a lot of fuel was flowing.

291338078-5120328321398808-6445557054847509976-n.jpg

In case you were wondering, yes it's a picture of my engine bay :D

Is it necessary, after a dry run, to put fuel directly into the carb tank? If so, how?
how does the fuel pump work? Does the cap (pink arrow) have to be completely sealed for the vacuum to work and the pump to work?

Hey Max, welcome! How annoying, You shouldn't have to put fuel in the carbs normally. Another thing to check is the age/condition of the plugs. Mine wouldn't start recently and I replaced all the plugs and it was like new again. You can tell if the plugs are going as it will/may start eventually - crank for 30s at a time and you may find it does actually start - or at least splutter a bit.

You could test the fuel pump, (this isn't from personal experience so maybe Google for exact instructions) by disconnecting the orange arrow end and get someone to crank the engine - put the end of tube in a plastic coke bottle and you should get a jet.

This sounds like what we were saying initially . So fuel starvation. First check you have fuel in the tank, and disregard what the fuel guage says for a bit. The fuel supply from the pump should on cranking, shoot most of the way across a 1.5 -2L empty water bottle, if it don’t then the issue is before this. Then check with gravity that the supply to the pump is free flowing, before you condemn the pump. Check things like each section of fuel pipe by blowing through them to find what’s stopping the fuel. Also check the fuel cap and that there is some form of vent, sometimes blocks can cause a vacuum forming but popping the cap off may let air into the system. The pink arrow looks to be the oil top up and should have no effect on your fuel supply. Your fuel pump works by a little rod pushing up and down from a lobe and ‘may ‘ be worn and not operating the pump but lets just work out where the issue is before you go ordering lots of parts :) So start with the fuel pipe into the carb , then work your way back gradually to the tank but just check you have at least a gallon of fuel in there to kick off with.:cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,it’ll be something simple :)

It sounds like the fuel pump has failed.

Also mount the fuel filter under the bus, not in the engine bay, you'll also find it'll run better if you can get an original air filter.

Good morning and congrats to your nice earlybay catch. As to your problem, I'd like to share another idea, but you may have checked this already: What about the fuel shut-off valve on your carburettor? Does it get 12V and/or does it make a click sound from the magnetic switch inside when you touch the connector with the respective (black) cable (ignition switched on)? If it doesn't you may have to change the valve, since your carburettor won't get any fuel, even if all hoses and filters run free.
Best wishes from
Henne

Hello Max, welcome. Congrats on your nice looking Westy.

Thank you all for your help, it allowed me to investigate further!
So I tested the fuel shut-off valve as Henne said and it seems to work.
Then I disconnected the red arrow hose at the carburetor and a friend started the bay.... NOTHING! Not even a small drop of fuel came up!
As I said, I had already disconnected the green arrow hose at the fuel pump and there was fuel flowing there... I conclude that the problem comes from the middle: the fuel pump!
I'm going to buy a new one, go on holiday and fit it at the end of August! I keep my fingers crossed

nkqe.jpg

My fuel pump membrane failed once and let petrol into the engine oil which seized the engine.

Might be worth checking the oil doesn't smell of petrol before you go on a test drive.

Before you get a new fuel pump, just remove the old one and you may be able to work it mechanicall with your fingers . The first suspect might be the fuel pump operating rod as these are well known to be made of chocolate and marzi pan or anything equally feeble. There are two types and two lengths and you may need to Google the measurements as I just can’t remember them. If the rod is worn down it simply isnt going up and down far enough to operate the lever that makes the pump work. Go very carefully with removing your pump as the piece it sits on is quite delicate and forms a guide for the rod to go up and down in. If your decision still results in needing a new pump, then get the new rod to go with it and all will be well in the land of aircooled.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,great fun these aren’t they :cool: :) :cool:

EDIT
Google says 100mm or 108mm for standard rods.
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,good olll Google :)

I have just returned from holiday, changed my fuel pump and... It starts! I went for a drive but when I accelerate to the max the carburettor misfires. As if the uel pump was not supplying enough fuel... Is this possible?
I parked, waited for a night and the bus would not start. A bit of "start pilot" and it started again, but I didn't have any starting problems before. Strange, it seemed to work again.

Anyway, thanks for your advice so far ;)

To test the fuel pump, take the pipe off from the carburettor. Place it into a clean and empty water bottle 1.5-2L put it in about 25 to 50 cm and hold the bottle on its side. Disable your engine from starting by removing the rotor arm and pop the distributor cap back on. Be careful of the fan belt and anything moving like the pullies. Have an assistant turn over your engine for about three to ten seconds and watch how much fuel pumps into the bottom of the bottle, it should go more than halfway maybe even hit the bottom of the bottle, if it does, then the issue is probably your carburettor or a blockage right there. If it does not spurt like a fourteen year old boy then the issue is before this point. Check things like crap in the pipes and blow them through, it could now be crap in the tank, crap in the pipes or crap in the filter if your test ^^^ was a good spurt. Is there plenty of fuel? If the spurt was good, take the fuel ‘supply ‘ off the pump and hold your finger over it, put it as low as you can and the tank should let fuel out freely with gravity. It is possible for rags or plastic bags to get in the fuel tank and stop the fuel flow. It’s also possible for lots of crud , crap, detritus etc etc to build up in the bottom of the tank. Last thing to check, is there a fuel shut off valve anywhere between the tank and the carburettor either physical/ mechanical or even an electrical shut off valve.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, it won’t be very tricky :)

Latest posts