New seats ???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziedog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve just come across a pair of Mazda MX5 fabric seats with great big silly high backs / headreasts :mrgreen: <<< if only :lol: I was driving for about seven or eight hours the other week with about a half hour or an hour break and I must say I was absolutely cream crackered at the end of it, and Mrs Ozziedog was having a bit of a moan too :shock: no surprise there then :roll: :lol: :roll: Not really, usually she’s pretty good with her few little back issues etc, the same as me ;) So I started asking around and one of the guys at work has an MX5 and he’s just swapped over to leather seats so he’s got these going, they could do with a re cover but seem sound enough :mrgreen: Anybody else got them ? I think I’ve heard that some have , but what are they like in real life plus what were they replacing?
Unless someone says otherwise, I’ll fit them as they are and try them for a bit then pop them out and get them refurbbed and get rid of the seat belt mounts too. Any tips on fitting ? :p
The only elecktrickery on these is the seatbelt warning light and that can go, is it easy enough to put some seat pads in while I have them apart, and I know they’ll only be any good when the motor is spinning and useless when parked up :mrgreen: How much juice do they actually use ? And I’ve got a few seat pads scattered about the garage that sit on top the seats and plug in to the ciggy lighter, any reason I shouldn’t use them and hard wire them through a fuse.? Is this another on the mounting list of reasons to start using a leeeeesure battery? All these questions and more , many thanks in advance :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,or give her a cushion and an extra hoody for winter praps :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Plus,,, I almost forgot to mention my freaky proportions. I’m two mill over six foot tall nowadays but I’ve only got little short legs as in twenty eight inch inside leg :shock: Yeah, real freaky, that does make me almost seven foot tall when I’m sat down because of my long back :lol: So with seats, my head is quite close to the van ceiling already perhaps maybe an inch or so if clearance? Am I gonna bang my head as I get in and out because of dragging my ass cheeks over the side supports on these seats?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,all comments and piss taking grrrratefully received :mrgreen:

Make sure there are no explosive components in the seat ;) Your legs might end up being even shorter! :mrgreen:

I have an MX5 with these seats, and am someone who does suffer with back ache if a car seat has poor lumbar or upper leg support. I have no problems with these, but seats are a very subjective issue.

Aside from the comfort, these seats are widely regarded for having very thin bases, so would actually be well-suited as a change from the standard seats in a bay; they may even sit lower and give you some extra headroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coda said:
Make sure there are no explosive components in the seat ;) Your legs might end up being even shorter! :mrgreen:

I reckon you’ve watched way tooo many Bond films :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,I got a lot further to run than most :shock: :mrgreen:

Moseley said:
I have an MX5 with these seats, and am someone who does suffer with back ache if a car seat has poor lumbar or upper leg support. I have no problems with these, but seats are a very subjective issue.

Aside from the comfort, these seats are widely regarded for having very thin bases, so would actually be well-suited as a change from the standard seats in a bay; they may even sit lower and give you some extra headroom?

The pal that I got them from has shown me a plate on the bottom of them that can be removed and there’s extra foam cushioning in this section that can be removed allowing an extra inch or so of bum space to sag into if required so it might be a win win situation :mrgreen: Thanks for the replies both :mrgreen:

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,right then, let’s fit em before madam gets home and changes my mind :mrgreen:

So ,,,, I have the drivers one all sitting nicely and I can easily make some mounts and yes it does seem more comfy. Mrs Ozziedog has now come home and her verdict before she saw them fitted was that they’d look stooopid :roll: So I drag her down the garage and make her sit in them, she says they feel exactly the same as the old ones so I’m guessing the passengers seat isn’t as poor as the drivers seat or the fact that you can move around a bit more when you’re navigating might make it a bit more comfy. She says they don’t look quite as bad as she thought but is still hating the high backs :lol: So do I do what I want or do I try and find some others with no high backs,,, hhhmmmpp :?:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,any ideas folks? I’m caught between a rock and a hard place :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Moseley said:

The pal that I got them from has shown me a plate on the bottom of them that can be removed and there’s extra foam cushioning in this section that can be removed allowing an extra inch or so of bum space to sag into if required so it might be a win win situation :mrgreen: Thanks for the replies both :mrgreen:

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,right then, let’s fit em before madam gets home and changes my mind :mrgreen:

Google search ‘foamectomy,’ your mate isn’t lying! :lol:

I had the same problem(literally to the inch!!) Best fitting seats were porsche tombstone(924/44/11) with no height adjust, very comfy and i ended up with just over 2 inches of headroom(westy ply headliner)
Also very easy to fit as runners are flat

Now we have another issue as in Mrs Ozziedog is putting me off these seats :shock: :cry: :shock:
She’s used that dirty dirty dirty trick by saying “You can do what you like “ :? “But” :? “I don’t really like them” :roll:
“I know you’ll do what you want, but I don’t think they go very well at all” :roll: :shock: :roll:
So now where do I go with it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,at least I haven’t fitted them or had em re upped :mrgreen:

So seats suggestions that don’t involve high backs??? But extra comfy. I suppose headrests or LateBay or T25s maybe.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,suggestions from experience please :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Coda said:

You’d be right I’ve seen them all, multiple times. And though I’m joking I’m also right. Have you never heard of explosive restraint devices?

Coda said:
Ozzie you are welcome to try my 911 seats at Techenders.

Cheers bud and I will do. I’m a bit in limbo at the moment because it’s the high backs that Mrs Ozziedog disagrees with and she has swayed me a tad too :msn4: :msn4: Ooooer Mrs. Because of the side restraints, I can see myself banging my head getting in and out and trying not to wreck the side cushioning with my Lardy bot :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,lost track now on where I’m going with this, it suddenly got complicated :mrgreen:

Coda said:
ozziedog said:
Coda said:

You’d be right I’ve seen them all, multiple times. And though I’m joking I’m also right. Have you never heard of explosive restraint devices?

I have indeed, a pal used to work for Rover at one time and I can remember something about a tiny charge would go off to pre tension the seat belts in the first micro seconds of an accident in some of the cars. Not sure if it was an on going thing or if it became redundant with the mass advent of air bags, some of which used a similar charge to kick em out of bed. The clever bit though is that they’re mostly designed to deflate quicker than they inflate, so cleverer stuff indeedy ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Obviously not invented by the likes of me :mrgreen:

sparkywig said:
Why not get the original ones refurbed, "new" stock ones are really comfortable.

Nail and head seems to be the answer here. Instead of changing, maybe I need to do a little research into why they’re not so comfy. I did have them recovered about five years ago ? But I didn’t pay too much attention to the seat swabs or the springing. Plus I’ve put on a bit of a pound or two the last few years :shock: and that may not be helping. I’ll have a chat with Nick and Stevie J, who else do we know Wig that might shed some light on this ? I got an upholsterer pal in Bath named Adam and he might have a clue or two, So there’s a few to start off with. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,A pair of MX5 seats for sale, any interest??? :mrgreen:

You said your seats have been re-covered. So not sure if you’ve already done what I’ve had done too. I had to have my original seats refurbed. Needed to as they were creaking and groaning and sinking fast. I could feel the metal work under my backside. Horrible on my comfort factors. As you know...Not cheap though. The pads (times 4 as obviously 2 back 2 seat pads need) are pretty expensive. And there is considerations for material to add to protect the coir pads against the metal springs. But got a nice deal on eBay for some new cream American colour basket weave covers. And the difference was/still is amazing. Springs were ok luckily. The old padding was falling apart dismal. Also. My Mum had a lumbar support addition on her seat (my parents had a T25) which was great for their long journeys. Halfords type full back and seat pad I think. They travelled around Scotland and Cornwall/Devon from Coventry. Maybe an ‘add to’ as opposed to a change? Mind you....with your wealth of insights and knowledge? Writing back replies to your good self is like teaching your Grannie to suck eggs. 😉 Good luck Ozzie on whatever you choose.

graysummers said:
You said your seats have been re-covered. So not sure if you’ve already done what I’ve had done too. I had to have my original seats refurbed. Needed to as they were creaking and groaning and sinking fast. I could feel the metal work under my backside. Horrible on my comfort factors. As you know...Not cheap though. The pads (times 4 as obviously 2 back 2 seat pads need) are pretty expensive. And there is considerations for material to add to protect the coir pads against the metal springs. But got a nice deal on eBay for some new cream American colour basket weave covers. And the difference was/still is amazing. Springs were ok luckily. The old padding was falling apart dismal. Also. My Mum had a lumbar support addition on her seat (my parents had a T25) which was great for their long journeys. Halfords type full back and seat pad I think. They travelled around Scotland and Cornwall/Devon from Coventry. Maybe an ‘add to’ as opposed to a change? Mind you....with your wealth of insights and knowledge? Writing back replies to your good self is like teaching your Grannie to suck eggs. 😉 Good luck Ozzie on whatever you choose.

Ha, indeed, this might be the answer in all truthfulness. I’m nowhere near as smart as I pretend that I am by the way :lol: I’m very very capable of ignoring the blatantly obvious even if it’s staring me In the face (or backside in this case) . Possibly, with this latest insight it might just be worth finding out if the recover a few years back may have dislodged or even damaged the coir pads Or even just broken them down by rubbing in a slightly different spot to where they were initially, hhhhmmmppp. :mrgreen: Thanks for that poke in the ribs that was very much needed I’ll go and have a look at the insides now, I’m thinking I may have heard a creak or two from the springy bits.

Ozziedog,,,,,,Add to sounds great by me :mrgreen:

I’ve bought a gel seat pad from eBay. Does seem to help me. I recovered my seats and fixed new springs in around the sides but still struggled on longer journeys. It’s not just the bus seats though as I’m the same in any car as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402350584741

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts