New wing mirror?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to adjust my passenger (n/s) mirror and it literally fell off, I hadn't even got the spanner near it!

The thread has sheered with most of it being stuck in the dome nut. I made a temporary repair with some tape, this however will only be good for several years, I should probably fix it properly.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix, or should I try and source another?
73acb1f9beff7f8885cc4c3b9cb70f5d.jpg
07a446c720c21140b6552a20b3e648d9.jpg
2396eec49b28dc9e6e68f8cf8db3f5a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Can't be fixed unfortunately, try and get an original mirror if you can. But try gluing it in rather than tape and it will last a couple of years.
If you buy a repro mirror use your existing piece that screws into the door, the thread on new ones isn't long enough.

As Wiggy says above ^^^ . For a permanent fix though try and source an original Hagus mirror. Looking at the parts and the rust in your picture, I’d say that you already have a repro mirror and that’s why it disintegrated with just a stern look. New Hagus ones turn up time to time and they may seem expensive but not if you compare them to the price of a Mercedes or a Focus mirror which will usually set you back a hundred or two, but we just accept that because we’re used to being ripped.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,The Hagus mirror might not rust too :mrgreen:

@fallingoffalot I think I have a couple not sure if they are repro or not. They do look better the ones you have though. If you're interested, I'll take some pics, let me know.

sparkywig said:
Can't be fixed unfortunately, try and get an original mirror if you can. But try gluing it in rather than tape and it will last a couple of years.
If you buy a repro mirror use your existing piece that screws into the door, the thread on new ones isn't long enough.

I think the thread on the repro ones is the same length at least they were on mine, the problem is with the repro nut. On the original it is recessed so the threaded part goes in further, so I got a mate with a lathe to recess the 'crappy' repro nuts like the original which worked. :D

I know they are not original style but I got these from Halcyon classic parts. They are truly great quality, no sign of rust after 2 years. Also they sit really neatly on the original door mount so no need to dismantle. Adjusting mechanism and mirror quality superb. Pretty sure they are uk made. Seem to think that they were only about £40 the pair.)

Hi
Yes, I have no problem, really good sight range. Travelled 1000’s of miles with them.Far better looking (in my opinion) than the standard rubbish available.

Huyrob said:
Hi
Yes, I have no problem, really good sight range. Travelled 1000’s of miles with them.Far better looking (in my opinion) than the standard rubbish available.

I can then assume that they don't move like the repros we have. It drives me nuts keep adjusting after I have closed the door or driven for a short while.

Latest posts