Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello and welcome. Nice looking bus, congrats. Planning a camping trip?

Hello and welcome. Nice looking bus, congrats. Planning a camping trip?
I was, but the MOT today has turned up more problems than I'd expected🤣 The guy who I thought was going to do the welding doesn't want to take it on because of space issues at his workshop. Going to have a look at it on his ramp tomorrow and decide whether to find another restorer or whack it on ebay. I knew there was work needed, but not quite how extensive.

I was, but the MOT today has turned up more problems than I'd expected🤣 The guy who I thought was going to do the welding doesn't want to take it on because of space issues at his workshop. Going to have a look at it on his ramp tomorrow and decide whether to find another restorer or whack it on ebay. I knew there was work needed, but not quite how extensive.
That sucks. Hope work can be arranged and not that extensive.

shame to get rid but it will depend how much work and how much money it would take To put it right. What did the MOT say? Mine sat in a local garage for 4 years they guy was doing it when he had a lull in his normal work. Ok by me as I could save a bit of cash and pay him off each month.

Hopefully sorted, got recommended a local classic car restorer who has done vans, we've been through it all thoroughly and I'm confident he knows what he's doing. Best of all he can start in two weeks, so I've just got to strip out the interior. First inspection does not reveal how the long Dormobile cabinet is attached, anybody got any tips?

Cheers, I'll delve a little deeper tomorrow. Want to refit, so no crowbars will be employed 😂

Hopefully sorted, got recommended a local classic car restorer who has done vans, we've been through it all thoroughly and I'm confident he knows what he's doing. Best of all he can start in two weeks, so I've just got to strip out the interior. First inspection does not reveal how the long Dormobile cabinet is attached, anybody got any tips?
Have an idea of the scope of work?

My only concern is he can start in 2 weeks, most VW & classic car restorers I know are flat out and not taking anymore work for the rest of this year but then things do get cancelled.

Out of interest what is the extent of the welding needed?

I hear you on the short wait! He and a couple of others are working in a series of barns, no advertising, no website, just word of mouth. He was recommended by a guy I trust. His background is Royal Navy underwater welding, and I get the feeling he does it because he likes it. There is a lot to do, floor, chills, chassis, cab floor etc. They have a roll cage and are going to use that. I'm stripping it out, and I have to find a painter once it's solid, but I'm happy to do that

Hi, stripped out the interior, scored a pair of very good front seats. Took the van round to Garry the welder, he put it on the lift and we had a good look, whilst discussing the options. We agreed that replacement panels was preferable to another round of patches, so I went shopping! I left there at 12.30 and by 3.30 he was sending me pictures of the engine out and the cargo floor coming up! Went round again yesterday for an update, which resulted in getting a JK 4 part front. He is happy for me to do bits in his workshop, so I'm doing gearbox seal and o ring, and pushrod seals whilst the engines out, and spraying tinware. Luckily Schofields have a 10% discount offer on at the moment, but I've still managed to spend 2K😳 that's front panel, new door skins, sliding door repair, all 4 arches, both rear corners, cab floor, seat floor etc etc. I think that's about it for the panels, but once the weldings done I reckon the budget will be about exhausted, so thinking on how to deal with paint. He is amassing a pile of shame, rotten bits and cut out patches. I'll post pics as it gets higher🤣

Latest posts