Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster58

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
nobotsplease
Van Type
Any
M-codes
?????
Hi just joined as I’m on the look out for a new hobby/project vehicle. Only looked at a 1972 crossover so far.

Reckon now may be a very good time to buy as the van market of all descriptions went wild for the last two years or so and there seems to be a slump just starting as regular peeps are being allowed abroad again for the holidays. Maybe hang on another month or two until the cold hits then you'll probably see the lowest prices for quite a while. :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, nice of you to join us :):cool::)

I’ve got a couple of buses for sale at the moment, ones a 72 Westy full project bus, needs work but not like a UK one and I’ve got a 72 Dormobile that runs and drives, just needs cosmetics, rock solid underneath.

I’ve got a couple of buses for sale at the moment, ones a 72 Westy full project bus, needs work but not like a UK one and I’ve got a 72 Dormobile that runs and drives, just needs cosmetics, rock solid underneath.
Hi, not looking for Lhd thanks. What are the details on the other one please?

Hi and welcome. Good luck with your project.

Going to look at this today. 1972 K reg so a cross over. Was mot’d until lockdown and they want about £6500 for it. Don’t have any other pics yet. Your thoughts please?

Attachments

• 1287FA5A-FB0B-4B99-BCA7-0EB4F4544A5A.jpeg
    1287FA5A-FB0B-4B99-BCA7-0EB4F4544A5A.jpeg
    884.3 KB · Views: 5
Hello there, I own a 72 crossover, though mine is a devon conversion. There are some parts that are 'one year only' on crossovers, which puts the price up if they are even available. The indicator stalk for instance, may seem a minor thing - but getting hold of one is very difficult, as is swapping it to a different year one. If there are things that need doing - check out the parts situation before you commit yourself.

Hello there, I own a 72 crossover, though mine is a devon conversion. There are some parts that are 'one year only' on crossovers, which puts the price up if they are even available. The indicator stalk for instance, may seem a minor thing - but getting hold of one is very difficult, as is swapping it to a different year one. If there are things that need doing - check out the parts situation before you commit yourself.
Hello, thanks for that, it’s useful to know. It’s still in use but not had mot for a couple of years. It’s a tin top but don’t know how that affects its value.

I renovated a 1971 crossover Westy20220704_185333.jpg and the electrics on mine were also a crossover between the wiring looms (let alone "the repairs" that had beem done). But nothing that couldn't be sorted.

Going to look at this today. 1972 K reg so a cross over. Was mot’d until lockdown and they want about £6500 for it. Don’t have any other pics yet. Your thoughts please?
Hiya bud, I’m not gonna beat around the bush here but that has got rust just about everywhere it’s possible to have rust. That on its own is a big step by itself as there is a lorra lorra work there. Sorry I didnt answer yesterday but I’ve been away with the LateBay crowd up in Lutterworth and just got back to sunny Bristol. Major works will be required there . Just about every panel that’s visible is showing signs of rust and tell tales too. If it’s that crusty on top, I’d guess at the state of the chassis and not in a nice way. Mechanical things like suspension, gearbox, engine are big enough problems but when it’s that rusty, I reckon I’d walk away. That’s gotta be close to ten grands worth of work just from what I’m guessing from that one bit of evidence of what we can actually see, let alone all we can’t see. Everybody has got a friend somewhere that will weld it all for a grand and another that will spray it for a grand, but in reality it just never happens.There are a lot of one year only parts right across the whole Bay range right up to and including the very last latebay. It’s because they were continuously improving the model and also trying to reduce manufacturing costs, some older mechanics will tell you that some changes were almost monthly :eek:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Sorry to be a downer. That’s why it’s a tad cheaper.:)

Hiya bud, I’m not gonna beat around the bush here but that has got rust just about everywhere it’s possible to have rust. That on its own is a big step by itself as there is a lorra lorra work there. Sorry I didnt answer yesterday but I’ve been away with the LateBay crowd up in Lutterworth and just got back to sunny Bristol. Major works will be required there . Just about every panel that’s visible is showing signs of rust and tell tales too. If it’s that crusty on top, I’d guess at the state of the chassis and not in a nice way. Mechanical things like suspension, gearbox, engine are big enough problems but when it’s that rusty, I reckon I’d walk away. That’s gotta be close to ten grands worth of work just from what I’m guessing from that one bit of evidence of what we can actually see, let alone all we can’t see. Everybody has got a friend somewhere that will weld it all for a grand and another that will spray it for a grand, but in reality it just never happens.There are a lot of one year only parts right across the whole Bay range right up to and including the very last latebay. It’s because they were continuously improving the model and also trying to reduce manufacturing costs, some older mechanics will tell you that some changes were almost monthly :eek:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Sorry to be a downer. That’s why it’s a tad cheaper.:)
Hi Ozziedo. Yes you were spot on. There were rust scabs everywhere apart from under windscreen. Underneath was much worse with annual mot welds on everything. I wouldn’t call £6500 cheap for what amounts to a pile of junk!

Hi Ozziedo. Yes you were spot on. There were rust scabs everywhere apart from under windscreen. Underneath was much worse with annual mot welds on everything. I wouldn’t call £6500 cheap for what amounts to a pile of junk!
Well done you. Unfortunately someone will buy that thinking that’ll be restored over the winter when in reality I don’t think that one should be more than just parts. Anything else that you spot, just do exactly the same and pop up a piccie and we can all look again. :)
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, there’ll be something sub ten K somewhere :)

The term for that is “slumming”.
Ouch, to be fair there are exactly the same type of busses there as are here. Some absolutely immaculate ones, some unique ones, some troublesome ones and some that are only just keeping their head above water or keeping going just like mine :cool: There’s a fair few that still attend these events that don’t have an air cooled early or late any more and they have more than their fair share of Scooby Doobies too. Slumming,,,, I’ll take tongue in cheek and with a big old pinch of salt as I’ve invited quite a few of them to Dubs At the Castle and some of the events down this way as we’re tending to put up quite a lean display nowadays. There were more early and crossers in Lutterworth than there were at the Earlybay only area at Dubs At The Castle In Caldicot. Hopefully we can convince a few to make the effort as we may possibly be in danger of losing our unique and lovely spot there because of poor attendance. Anyway, they’re much much bettererer on the Latebay at taking the piss than here as they’re at it non stop everyday over there and guaranteed at least a couple of chuckles minimum per day👌:cool:(y)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, bit of slumming??? Good for ya I reckon :)

Just kidding, of course. I am certain that their hearts are in the right place, even if their turn signal lenses are not.

And I concur: keeping the numbers up for annual events is not easy. When VW folk move on from VW buses to something else, they are not banished (as long as they remember to bring wine and firewood).

Our next event is in November. If you’re in Northern California then, drop on by. We will even feed you.

What a lovely thought, November in California. Our last camping event as far as I know down this end of the country is in October and is called Oktoberfest , named after that very famous Germanic event of beer guzzling and other wonderous shenanigans. Speaking of firewood, do you have those new ish types of portable fire pits over there ? Got one myself after seeing Jonathan had one , you’ll see a quite recent picture of it on his gallery thread ‘Boris’ . Very very good and the best bit is how little space they take up when packed.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, summer is closing up shop over here now :)

Will have rust etc but check chassis rails and get someone with experience to look it over. No MOT or road tax needed when you do a declaration. My 75 was like this when I got it and spent years re panelling properly. This is to let you see what can be done to get it back to new but also let you see what you are up against. good luck.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0075.JPG
    DSCF0075.JPG
    459.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1095.JPG
    DSCF1095.JPG
    458.9 KB · Views: 0
  • painted.JPG
    painted.JPG