Nick Mitchell - Newbie

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
Hi, I live with Lainey and 2 grown up kids on the Isle of Wight.
I bought a 68 years ago with the intention of doing it up to use, but soon realised it was rotten underneath. It was squirreled away until time/money/space/willingness all came together.
Finally I've started the project and Lainey thought it uis a good idea to talk to you guys for inspiration and advice.
That's it really I suppose.
Cheers Nick.

Welcome, and I'm sure I speak for the others here when I say, please post some pictures, and maybe open a new restoration thread. It would be good to follow along and watch the progress. Also a point to get any help or advice you may want.

I've started the stripping down process and it's gonna go back to the bare bones !
Nice use of batten wood to push out dented bottom corner, and just leave it in there in case you get hit again 👍 😉

Attachments

• 20220213_151515.jpg
    20220213_151515.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20220213_151603.jpg
    20220213_151603.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220213_151524.jpg
    20220213_151524.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20220216_115318.jpg
    20220216_115318.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220216_121156.jpg
    20220216_121156.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 14
Hi Nick,
looks to be a great project. It looks to be in much better shape than I was guessing from your initial post. There’s an expert or two on here with various specialities and my particular speciality is nowadays just talking about it more-so than doing it ;)
I restoed mine about ten or twelve years ago and there’s a fair bit that needs another whiz round with the welder here and there after I recently took my old flooring out whilst up at the tip :cautious: but it seemed a good idea at the time.:unsure: Until I found a nest of rust patches over all the floor supports.
Started working on it then realised I could no longer see what I was actually doing, as in, I can see what I’m doing up until the point of the arc flaring, then all I can see is the Fourth of July, I can’t see the edges or more importantly the weld pool.o_O So I’ve just invested in some new lenses for my helmet and I’m about to have a go this weekend if I get a chance. Hopefully through the miracles of new scratch free lenses , I maybe on a winner or maybe I’ll have to call in the cavalry and get Nick and the boys at CJ Motors to wiz their mig around it one more time:)
So get stuck in and chunk out a bit at a time and youll be there in next to no time. We’ve got restos on here that have taken lots of time and we have some that are whizzed out in next to no time, but they all get there in the end .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,and that’s when it’s worth it :cool::cool::cool:

20220218_161724.jpg
20220218_161717-jpg.1163

Attachments

• 20220218_161717.jpg
    20220218_161717.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 62
Rotten chassis and floor around torsion bar tube, its gonna need major surgery :cry:

I've got a plan to do a space frame inside vehicle and rotate like the rotisseries u can get. Then remove the floor n parts of chassis, hopefully I can keep the integrity of the shell intact.

Hi Nick,
looks to be a great project. It looks to be in much better shape than I was guessing from your initial post. There’s an expert or two on here with various specialities and my particular speciality is nowadays just talking about it more-so than doing it ;)
I restoed mine about ten or twelve years ago and there’s a fair bit that needs another whiz round with the welder here and there after I recently took my old flooring out whilst up at the tip :cautious: but it seemed a good idea at the time.:unsure: Until I found a nest of rust patches over all the floor supports.
Started working on it then realised I could no longer see what I was actually doing, as in, I can see what I’m doing up until the point of the arc flaring, then all I can see is the Fourth of July, I can’t see the edges or more importantly the weld pool.o_O So I’ve just invested in some new lenses for my helmet and I’m about to have a go this weekend if I get a chance. Hopefully through the miracles of new scratch free lenses , I maybe on a winner or maybe I’ll have to call in the cavalry and get Nick and the boys at CJ Motors to wiz their mig around it one more time:)
So get stuck in and chunk out a bit at a time and youll be there in next to no time. We’ve got restos on here that have taken lots of time and we have some that are whizzed out in next to no time, but they all get there in the end .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,and that’s when it’s worth it :cool::cool::cool:

Na, this is toast or at best macvities this poor old unloved bus ! I gotta go to plan B and make a plan B !! 💯 😌

Hi All, plan B is : getting some strength and steel back inside the shell before taking floor out and redoing chassis :p

Attachments

• 20220225_162433.jpg
    20220225_162433.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220224_170935.jpg
    20220224_170935.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts