Not starting when hot.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aardvark

Reaction score
I took the van out for a run for the first time since October yesterday. It ran like a dream during the 20 mile journey. My son and I went off to buy some sweets and when we got back after a about 10 minutes it wouldn't start. The other thing is that the starter seems to spin the engine over very quickly, almost like there was no compression resistance, then it seems to slow to a normal cadence.
I left the van for about 1/2 hour to cool and tried again. I eventually managed to coax it into life. From then, it ran beautifully all the way home without further incident.
I've been having a think about what the problem could be. I add, it's not the first time this has happened.
I think that the fast spinning may point towards a sticking valve or something along those lines. I don't want to pull the heads off on a hunch, so would anyone have any ideas?
Any help appreciated.
Aardvark

Are you sure its the engine spinning fast, and not the starter motor freewheeling because it hasn't engaged?

Coda said:
Are you sure its the engine spinning fast, and not the starter motor freewheeling because it hasn't engaged?

Yes. Pretty sure its turning the engine. It's a different sound from a disengaged starter.

Latest posts