OG rear drums

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Satisfy my curiosity please, do original (rear) drums have any marking on them to state VW / part number etc?

f34b1f42fe0eb8b507bc68b2565f523d.jpg

The reason for my curiosity is because the above (which is incorrect for our 68 bus anyway) has just stripped one of the wheel bolt holes. I’m certainly no he-man and I wasn’t using a breaker bar any larger than normal, but it started to go tight and then promptly pulled the threads out. A very close inspection of the wheel bolt and I can see some slight damage to the threads, albeit this looks more like material missing, rather than anything which would damage the drum. Hence I’m wondering if a cheapo aftermarket drum could be part, or all of the problem.

12e3ab892d7b1b154b814d113717c6a2.jpg

It’s not clear in the photo above, but when I backed out the wheel bolt, it had 3 or 4 wraps of thread material from the drum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine did. Had you eaten Weetabix for breakfast?
a70624f0539b0d2a84af1bcf8f6b193c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

67westy said:
Mine did. Had you eaten Weetabix for breakfast?

Just my usual bowl of porridge and some tinned spinach :D

Looks like this side is a budget aftermarket, probably the other is the same. I have some CSP drums on order anyway, but at least I’m not quite as annoyed about doing it now that I know they’re not original VW!

:D that explains the super human strength.

I fitted the CSP's and they were spot on. Worth the money and wait. Hopefully it won't keep you off the road until they arrive

67westy said:
:D that explains the super human strength.

I fitted the CSP's and they were spot on. Worth the money and wait. Hopefully it won't keep you off the road until they arrive

Should be arriving tomorrow, M7 seem to be holding stock of them, so can’t fault that service. Supposed to be off to fake Camperjam at the weekend, something always breaks right before then!

Latest posts