Oil leak

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren2030

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi was checking on a leaking csp push rod tube (again!) that had been dripping on the j-tube and noticed a bit of oil had been dripping down out of the head between the fins!? Any ideas fellas maybe a cracked head or something can’t really think what it could be as it’s not the oil cooler side either?

Did you put some sealant on the pushrod tube seals and lubricate the o rings inside the tubes?

Darren2030 said:
Hi mate yeh I did bud used the loctite si 5980 black stuff do ya reckon it’s coming from elsewhere and been blowing up in the fins?

That was initially my thoughts when I first read this. To try and prove it though is the tough thing. If you can get it all as clean as poss and then look again which I’m guessing that you’ve done already. Another version that I’ve used with fab success, is clean it off and make sure it’s fairly dry then use something like an old fairy liquid bottle or smaller is bettererer that you can make a puffer with to puff talcum powder around the area. If you can manage to fit a tube to it then even better because you can aim the tube at where you want it to go and turn your puffer upside down to get the talc loaded for dusting. Dust it over then run for ten seconds then have a look, then twenty seconds, etc etc etc. Some leaks reveal themselves virtually instantly whereas some need the oil and motor to be hot hot hot so go careful with your little pinkies and don’t fall for the looking while it’s running thing because you need all the fingers you have. :lol: I had a lot more oil leaks when I used straight mono grade oils too :shock: the multi flavour reduced leaks on a significant scale. You’re not over the scale with oil in the motor are you? Just a thought. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,we call this fun :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
I had a lot more oil leaks when I used straight mono grade oils too :shock: the multi flavour reduced leaks on a significant scale.
I've experienced the same thing come to think of it. I had to put a drip pan under the bus when I ran 30W. After changing to 20W50 I've not seen a single drop on it.

Hmmm cheers fellas interesting thoughts on the oil have to try changing that next time as I do use a 30w in the bus and thanks Ozzie I’ll try your suggestion with the talc as soon as I get the chance to get under the bus like that one great idea mate 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks
Darren

Your engine will thank you if running multi grade.

Straight 30 belongs in the 50’s and lawnmowers :msn4:

Latest posts