Oil temp sender/ gauge choices

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huyrob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to fit a temp gauge to my 1600 stock engine.
I have looked at all ( I think ) of the options. What would you recommend for the sender, sump (photo) or dipstick type ...or I think it can go in the side of the engine where the blue wire is on the attached photo. This last alternative I am a bit concerned about as I wouldn't want to cross thread anything.
Presumably the Vdo gauge is the one to go for but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have tried the sump plug type (VDO) & found them to be very inaccurate. I tried 2 different VDO gauges & they both were reading under by quite a bit. (Tested using a boiling kettle & wiring)

Only when I googled it did I find there were a few people that saw the same.
I ended up using a Stack as I found them to be spot on (but expensive). I have the sender to the gauge inline before my oil cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This one.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/stack-professional-oil-temperature-gauge-249494/?sku=STAST3309&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptrpxxlt&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjw17n1BRDEARIsAFDHFez_YT3w57dJTS_JDpejf6Rys2MDcNGlkr7YSwkKV9Hz3oGqYWsngUQaAk9IEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for that. There doesn't seem much point in installing one that isn't accurate.The price seems ok considering it includes the sensor ( which I assume is the same thing as a sender)
You say you installed in line before I he cooler, can this be done with the engine in? Also when you say inline what is the line made of and what fittings would be required to do this. Any additional info would be much appreciated.

It all depends on your setup.

I have an external oil cooler flitted & one of the connectors has a blanking plug to take the sensor so it was quite easy.

Mine is a stock recon unit from the vw engine co.So cooler is presumably bolted on to the top of the block. I will try to ring them to see what the best way round it is.
Thanks again

Autometer are the best gauges without question, not cheap but that’s for a good reason. Always ran Autometer in both aircooled vw’s and mopar V8’s without issue.

06bab2f91dc03f137ee83faf6f5425e5.jpg

I put one of these three ways on for pressure light sender and separate gauge sender and temp sender.
I’ll caveat with my bus being off the road at mo as I finish off resto, but keeps all senders in one place and not hanging off the sump.
I've got SMiths guages btw, they look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I eventually went for a Vdo gauge and sump sender with the angled sender insert so it doesn't actually hang down any lower. All fitted but not tried yet as just fitting new "fit and forget " fuel lines from Peter at VW Aircooled works ..( very knowledgable and helpful ). Arrived in post 10 minutes ago and looks good.I am working on the basis that whilst the oil temp reading may not be too accurate I am hopeful that it will alert me to any increase in temp.

Anyone got pictures of how the gauges look fitted? I am considering the kit that JK offers consisting of the CSP replacement drain plate, an oil temp sender, and the 52mm VDO gauge. The issue for me is mounting the gauge. I've got an untouched, undrilled, dash in my bus and I want to keep it that way. JK offers some under-dash brackets which I assume line up with existing boltholes. Anyone done this? How does it look? (I am thinking of the dual 52mm bracket with an oil temp and either an oil pressure or something more useful (ammeter/voltmeter?)).

Thanks Mike, coincidentally, I'm just going through your 'Monty the Red Campervan' thread :)
Do you think without the covering (mine is bare satin black metal) the holes in the bracket will line up with existing bolt holes?

Mine didn’t. I wanted it mounted in a particular position as there’s not really a lot of choice so I doubt you will find existing bolts to use. I had that in mind when I did mine and ended up just using the self tappers.
You want to be able to read them easily from the drivers seat so having them too vertical makes it more difficult to see them. On the other hand you don’t want them coming around forward too much otherwise you’ll be knocking into them with your knee.
Remember to post some pics when you’ve done [emoji3]

Cheers, I will if I do it, but I think rather than drilling the dash I might fit a small spare child in the engine bay, they can shout out the engine temp every few minutes :lol:

I went with the 3 gauge option, screwed into the underside

cfccb148aa902d4ba496eb0200756f8c.jpg

I fitted this recently and 3D printed the bracket, colour's not a great match, I may do another in black. Stuck it on with some very sticky double sided spongy tape.
492f3912998e964238d4ba574b1fdcd9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

In fact, looking at it now, it looks rubbish, I'm going to redesign it. Rounded edges and in black I think :)

Thinking about it, I could print a bracket with holes that line up with existing dash holes. If I print it in PETG it should be plenty strong enough.

Latest posts