Oops!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambrettatastic

Reaction score
Today I mainly learnt that my indicator bulbs on the front are twin filament and buying new clear lenses with orange bulbs doesn’t work….lots to learn.

Today I mainly learnt that my indicator bulbs on the front are twin filament and buying new clear lenses with orange bulbs doesn’t work….lots to learn.
Didn’t know that either, but every day can be a school day. So why twin filament bulbs then ???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,them lecky tricks are a black art to me :)

US buses have ‘running lights’ ie. The front indicators are permanently on. The second filament acts as the indicator.
It’s not allowed in the UK so the running light should be disconnected. You can swap for single filament bulb holders without issue, and of course, clear lenses/orange bulbs.
I actually have my running lights wired up as they look cool. And I am a massive hardcore rebel.

US buses have ‘running lights’ ie. The front indicators are permanently on. The second filament acts as the indicator.
It’s not allowed in the UK so the running light should be disconnected. You can swap for single filament bulb holders without issue, and of course, clear lenses/orange bulbs.
I actually have my running lights wired up as they look cool. And I am a massive hardcore rebel.
Haha!

I have found with my original indicators only the twin filament bulbs fit because of the pin pattern on the bulb stem. It doesn’t really matter as obviously only the indicators work when wired up for UK spec. The only thing is that if you buy UK indicator bulbs the pins are wrong for the front holders because they were designed for the twin filament bulbs.

Haha!

I have found with my original indicators only the twin filament bulbs fit because of the pin pattern on the bulb stem. It doesn’t really matter as obviously only the indicators work when wired up for UK spec. The only thing is that if you buy UK indicator bulbs the pins are wrong for the front holders because they were designed for the twin filament bulbs.
You can buy orange bulbs with the correct offset for US front indicators, it’s just a slightly different bulb number.

With one filament it’s a 1156
With two filaments it’s a 1157

I initially installed the wrong ones into my front turn signals. Took me a week to realize why they weren’t working. I’m a complete muppet.

The USA specification, 1973~79 VW Type 2, high-level front-indicator lamp units, have two bulbs; a twin-filament 21/5W bulb for direction-indicators & sidelights and a small 4W or 5W bulb for front side-marker lights. For some reason the ordinary twin-filament 21/5W bulbs used for the brake & tail lights, is slightly too large to fit in the bulb-holder.

Latest posts