Original Deluxe or not?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.R.

Reaction score
More opinions needed please, I promise this will be the last for a while!!

I've checked the chassis plate on my bus which is stamped 'Typ 28', from checking in a book this means that the bus is a 7 seater microbus, which is true but my bus also has the deluxe trim? does this mean that it has been added later, or could it be original? the book says that 'Typ 24' is the microbus deluxe.

Check the M-plate behind the drivers seat. If it's a US bus, it might have deluxe trim with US spec.

Campingwagen%20012.jpg

A01 = Specifications for the USA, includes M Codes 020, 026, 089, 102, 206, 506, 507 511, 521, 524, 525

521 = With chrome trim and sunvisor without mirror

Paul,

If you're van is not a genuine Deluxe i'll show my arse in Woolworth's window . The waistline trim is only a small feature of a genuine deluxe.

You have the deluxe window rubbers with trim, deluxe interior panels, US Spec deluxe over-riders, deluxe walk through bulkhead trim, should have a clock in the dash ( often taken out though ) plus other deluxe items.

M Codes can often be different from country to country.

It is a Deluxe

DSC01253.jpg

DSC01527.jpg

DSC01544.jpg

DSC01543.jpg

Thats as original a Deluxe as you will ever get as most US microbuses were Deluxes. For someone to have gone to the trouble of retro fitting all that trim around the windows etc on a US bus is nigh on unheard of, especially on such an original looking bus, nope, the public on this case are spared a Kempy full moon :D

wibbler said:
Thats as original a Deluxe as you will ever get as most US microbuses were Deluxes. For someone to have gone to the trouble of retro fitting all that trim around the windows etc on a US bus is nigh on unheard of, especially on such an original looking bus, nope, the public on this case are spared a Kempy full moon :D

Dam

Thanks again fellas. I'm becoming obsessed with knowing all that is earlybay!!
But Kempy you're right the clock is missing, how hard would it be to find one and how much would one cost?

Paul.R. said:
Thanks again fellas. I'm becoming obsessed with knowing all that is earlybay!!
But Kempy you're right the clock is missing, how hard would it be to find one and how much would one cost?

working clocks?? not much change of 100 notes, maybe cheaper if you can find one at a swap meet.

I don't want to argue, but check the M-plate, it will tell wether it is real deluxe 241 or 221 with trim.

kempy said:
You have the deluxe window rubbers with trim, deluxe interior panels, US Spec deluxe over-riders, deluxe walk through bulkhead trim, should have a clock in the dash ( often taken out though ) plus other deluxe items.

Mine had window rubbers with trim, overriders etc. But no clock, and by M-plate it is not deluxe. Atleast not according to:
http://www.type2.com/m-codes/t2models.html

Basically it's what you consider as a Deluxe anyway, a don't think they were called that in Germany back in the day. So what is really a difference between:

221 Micro bus, 7/8/9 seater, sliding door right, LHD US-spec.
241 Micro bus deluxe, 7/8/9 seater, LHD

As far as im aware the Yanks didnt call them Deluxes but I would need more info on that and the clocks like many of the deluxe items were an option so some just never came with them.

Paul.R. said:
More opinions needed please, I promise this will be the last for a while!!

I've checked the chassis plate on my bus which is stamped 'Typ 28', from checking in a book this means that the bus is a 7 seater microbus, which is true but my bus also has the deluxe trim? does this mean that it has been added later, or could it be original? the book says that 'Typ 24' is the microbus deluxe.

check ur paper i gave you

theres a vw birth certificate amongst it i think, from the factory

from memory it list the opnional m codes

I've checked the M-codes and it's stamped 425 & 508, neither of which is the trim. Not that it matters but I was curious as to when the Deluxe extras would have been fitted.

even to the expert eye that bus would pass as a deluxe, it has all the features, beltline, overiders, frontgrill and window inserts.

In Europe Deluxes were called Clippers an there was a choice of 2 levels either the Clipper or the full on Clipper L..

te clipper had some deluxe trim were as the 'L' was full on and had every thing i know i had one.. shiney bling every where..

chassis number started with 249 as it was a '69 model built nov 68

t2c7.jpg

128-2896_IMG.jpg

Non walkthrough a rarity and love those curtain rails. By the way I dont think over ridders were a deluxe option but standard on all North American busses.

i know non walk through nine seater..double door, both outer middle seats flipped forward, sold it early last year..

5 sets of jail bars used for curtain rails all originals, even the heater vent to the rear was chrome..

Just like Tipi has said about group codes

There are very few 'genuine' deluxes around only a type 24 is an early bay deluxe, the clock was standard equipment so if its not there its not a deluxe,obviously the sunroof is a giveaway too but that could be deleted with M Code 130

The most common is the type 22 with M codes 508 and 521 which are the 3 opening side windows and the chrome trimits all included in the group codes, it all adds up to a cheaper 'deluxe' looking microbus

I hope i haven't upset anyone, they still look good!!

raining.gif

No clock in mine (not an original one anyway) though M code 244 confirms uk RHD Deluxe and it also has a sunroof. Mind the original jailbars and bumper trim was also missing when I got it though all the holes are still there :cry:

I must never trust what books and so called experts tell me then! :oops:

or maybe you have new dials ??

The mystery continues...........................

There is a small smiths type clock in the hole which is obviously wrong but the wiring looks original so there may well have been a proper clock there once. I do love mysterys :)

just to confuse the issue i have an SA deluxe chassis number 24813***0. It has the clock, interior trim on all panels, jail bars, crested horn push the works except it don`t got the sunroof??!!??And it`s a 68 too!
1-2.jpg

20.jpg

18.jpg

Latest posts