Pain in't arse

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess what I shall be doing this weekend :)

Bus runs fine and it should run a bit cooler when its run in, maybe at the weekend i can get a run to the coast and then i will have a 1000 miles on it for the rolling road when the funds allow. The bus runs perfect on normal roads but I am finding that on the motorway - not a bus's friend it creeps up to a bout 110-115 when i push it over the magical 55 mark, so a little additional cooling should help.

Well, oil cooler now fitted what a palarver very tight with a 13 row oil cooler. On the one side it looks neat but on the other side it has little affect on the cooling :( Simply not enough air flow, which silly bastard decided putting the engine in the back was a good idea :lol:

So, the temperature is running at 112 degrees C which is fine at 55-60 mph as I won't take it over 60 anyway but a little more cooling would be good i would like it to run a few degrees lower ideally 107 though the engine hasn't quite run in yet 900 miles so it may drop a little but I am now going to make a air ram and see what/any temp difference this makes. Then if not I shall start my hunt for a pair of small fans 4.5 inch should be Ok anyone know where I can get hold of any?

Good work as always, Ade.
With regards to fans - what about a computer shop?

Although, while I'm thinking of it... are you sure your temp gauge is accurate? I don't know what normal operating temps are, but those don't sound too high to me :?

Good call George, I am looking inside my computer as I write as it has 2 4 inch fans - I just wonder if they will work if they get a bit wet? :D

P.S have fun in Bristol, i need to get off somewhere but stuck at home looking after Daddy :(

Hey Ade,
Great work as usual, hope all is not to bad at home.
Try this link for fans, specially designed for vehicles.

http://www.spalautomotive.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You never know they might be able to assist.

J & P
:D :D :D

Cheers guys, so here is the Mk 1 version of my ram air duct I thought I would try the low tech version first and see if it does anything. Cheers for the link jonathan for the electric fans, I will definitely go for one if I get not joy, No doubt after pissing about that will be the way to go. I shall have a road test to day and see if my motorway temp speed 55-60 MPH drops from its 108 centigrade. Stay tuned for further 'exciting' installments :50:

Well what do you know it actually works :party0002: I had a blast up to Naburn about 40 miles on the A62 and it is running at 10 degrees leass just over the centre mark of 95 C so about 96-97 at 60 MPH. So now I know it's worth pursuing I shall modify it - Mk 2 and make it better with a slightly bigger opening and add a grill to stop any shit! I just need to stop my indicator relay from it's constant clicking now as it's doing my head - though I get the feeling it is the indicator (US) that is a bit fubbared which is fair enough after 40 years i just need to find a decent replacement - any ideas?

Going to have a crack at recovering my inner sliding sunroof cover, but before i do i thought I would post a picture of it and marvel at what the cost of tooling must of been just to press this out, mid boggling really, VW must of being bonkers!.

Ideal operating temperature?
Been doing a bit of reading about oil temperatures and it seems like there is no definitive answer particularly when running different oils - I am running mineral oil. But the little i know is it needs to be a little above 100 centigrade so Its burns of any moisture so I guess 104 - 107 is the ideal temperature. I read Geneberg who suggests not to let it get beyond 113 centigrade over sustained journeys as i will lead to engine wear and oil breaking down, though I guess this can be compensated for by frequent oil changes.

I suppose the simple answer is not to rev it's bollocks of and cook the oil over 120 degrees C and change the oil every 2000 miles or every 6 months as oil has a shelf life?

Mark 2 version of my Air Ram - Patent pending :lol:

Brilliant Ade,, shit colours as always :lol: I secretly like the bits of orange but don`t tell no one,, different is good bud. Going back to the oil, I don`t think it`s so much about shelf life but more about the usage life. The hotter you run, the more you are physically destroying the oil so in fact are wearing it out. Using made up figures,,, 5000 miles at 105 should work for oil changes where as 5000 miles at 120 will have mullered the oil, so more like 1000 to 2000 miles at 120 . The thing nobody really bothers with and it might be a good thing to do, is give your oil a viscosity test once you`ve finished with it. I know it`s not just viscosity and there is other damage. If you documented your driving habits / temperature range and then correlated it with your oil changes and the results of this,,,,, Yeah!!! I know, I know, I know, it sounds a little bit anal don`t it :lol:
I know things ain`t brill with your dad and stuff,, so my thoughts are following you there,, be great to see you if there is a chance at any of the shows,, and we could damage a few more beers and maybe test my cooking skills :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Might be interesting, The visco King :mrgreen:

Hi Guys, been busy shoveling shit recently but my heads above the parapet once again :msn4: So, I have done about 1500 miles on the new engine and because of differing views on jet sizes i thought it prudent to get it on a rolling road. i am running 145 mains anyway I took the bus to meet Dave Boggs, what a nice guy and i can't recommend him high enough, 145 jets according to machine which was good enough for me. One thing he discovered which I think without a rolling road may be difficult was single vac dizzy was advancing it too far at full TIT. So vac advance now its blocked off. Running sweet :D

Got the sliding door painted now just need to finf the deluxe trim piece for that side, may get the other side painted before harewood then it just leaves me to sort the doors and scrapers and spend some more money on proper door seals 'cos those VWH ones are utter shite!

I would love to meet up with you guys soon, i am going to have a wander round Harewood vw either Sat or Sun and i woukld deinately like to get to Escrick if situation allows just wondering what meetings you are going to be doing.

Dave having a rummage! :lol:

I said last year when I was at Harewood i would stay the weekend this year but heh oh i cant but deffo going for the day so hopefully we shall meet up. look out for a half painted bus with migraine inducing bumpers :D

Well last year was totally shite so looking forward to this year and getting around as much shows as possible this year. I bought a T4 after Christmas for work as i was using my bus and it wasn't doing it any good nor the daily commute of a hundred miles each day was a tad expensive on fuel :shock: Anyway it has been sat for quite a while apart from the occasional trip on a Sunday to turn it over which was getting harder to fire up. I assumeded it was the starter as the battery was only 2 years old so stuck a new starter I had laying around, same problem - it was the cheap arse battery after all - bollocks - note to self stop buying cheap shit and expecting it to work!

I suppose i should have just checked it with a multimeter first, if you hook it up fire it up and if it shows dropping around the 7 volts mark its fooked, any way all better now and raring to get out to as many shows as poss - whooppee :D

Cool to see you back up and running, are you going to the EB campout ?
I am hoping Boris is going to be there with the me and the wife, MOT on Tuesday :shock:

Hope to see you there !!

J & P
:D :D :D

I would really like to get to the early bay camp out but depends on a few things to whether i can away so fingers crossed 'cos it would be great to meet up. On the plus side i had the day of work to get the bus MOT, all sorted, though the horn was acting up as usual when I turned the wheel, I know the guy so he was fine. It's nearly had me killed a couple of times the last time at a zebra crossing when a gang of lads was walking across the bus horn started going at it and they just thought some grumpy bastard was having a go.
Now i just unplug the horn just to prevent getting the shit kicked out of me :eek: . I must get it sorted, but it means pulling the steering column which is a arse and can I be bothered just for the horn to work?

I need to get the doors sorted next i think and look out for the side trim, not much time at the mo though as i need to sort the T4 work van belts as soon as before they goes Tits up.

Well being busy with work and sorting the T4 I bought for work which I have managed to rack up 10K miles so far but still haven't got round to changing the timing belts :shock: But I thought bollocks to that and hello T2 so doors are finally getting sorted and decided to give the front another blowover naughty stone chips so out with the windscreen again, so hopefully in a 2-3 weeks I can bugger off at weekends - at last. :D

Latest posts