Ply Westy interior roof lining-where can i get some

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammedresto

Reaction score
Ply Westy interior roof lining-where can i get some, as i need to redo mine

the old ones are fallin apart, what sort of ply is it, has anyone replaced theirs

i read somewhere that the original laminate was called baltic birch.
any 3mm ply should fit though - then stain/paint/varnish it to whatever shade u want.

68whitewesty said:
i read somewhere that the original laminate was called baltic birch.
any 3mm ply should fit though - then stain/paint/varnish it to whatever shade u want.

Any decent timber merchant should do it.

Not that easy, me thinks :cry:

I had the following problems with a bus with the standard VW sunroof hole;

standard 8'x4' isn't quite wide enough, so you have to turn it 90 degrees, which means the grain runs the wrong way - across the width rather than along the length of the van, which IMO isn't asthetically pleasing. Also this means it doesn't want to bend in the direction you need it to, so fitting is a pain (but it can be done)

Even turned this way the rear section isn't quite long enough, so you either have to hide a join in your roof cupboard, miss a bit off at the rear (it's hidden by the cupboard anyway) or extend the two pieces that run along the side of the sunroof to meet the rear panel (but then the alloy extrusions that join the panels will be slightly too short).

I went for the third option, but decided i really didn't like the grain running in that direction. So i ripped it out and bought some 3mm cream plastic from Centry plastics in Sheffield/Rotherham (Waleswood ind est). This fits so easily (bends in all directions), can be cut with a stanley knife, looks good, is wipe clean and brightens the van interior. I love it 8)

They do loads of different colours and thicknesses to suit many an interior fitting problem :D

http://www.centuryplastics.co.uk/centuryweborders/

Hope that helps
popcorn

My westy one is done in 4 bits, joined with aluminium strips. I bit is from the windscreen to the roof hole, 2 narrower pieces down each side of the roof hole and then another big bit from the roof hole back.

popcorn balls said:
Not that easy, me thinks :cry:

I had the following problems with a bus with the standard VW sunroof hole;

standard 8'x4' isn't quite wide enough, so you have to turn it 90 degrees, which means the grain runs the wrong way - across the width rather than along the length of the van, which IMO isn't asthetically pleasing. Also this means it doesn't want to bend in the direction you need it to, so fitting is a pain (but it can be done)

Even turned this way the rear section isn't quite long enough, so you either have to hide a join in your roof cupboard, miss a bit off at the rear (it's hidden by the cupboard anyway) or extend the two pieces that run along the side of the sunroof to meet the rear panel (but then the alloy extrusions that join the panels will be slightly too short).

I went for the third option, but decided i really didn't like the grain running in that direction. So i ripped it out and bought some 3mm cream plastic from Centry plastics in Sheffield/Rotherham (Waleswood ind est). This fits so easily (bends in all directions), can be cut with a stanley knife, looks good, is wipe clean and brightens the van interior. I love it 8)

They do loads of different colours and thicknesses to suit many an interior fitting problem :D

Hope that helps
popcorn

Which one off their website did you go for as I need a new piece for the rear. Was going to use white faced hardboard, but the plastic stuff sounds much better!

Cheers

popcorn balls said:
So i ripped it out and bought some 3mm cream plastic from Centry plastics in Sheffield/Rotherham (Waleswood ind est). This fits so easily (bends in all directions), can be cut with a stanley knife, looks good, is wipe clean and brightens the van interior. I love it 8)

Hope that helps
popcorn

hi mate, any chance of some pics, i have to redo my headlineing and was thinking of the ply route but this sounds easier and lighter.

cheers

gninnam said:
Which one off their website did you go for as I need a new piece for the rear. Was going to use white faced hardboard, but the plastic stuff sounds much better!

Cheers

Can't find it on the website, i actually turned up at the place and talked to the guy in reception, he showed me a load of samples. The stuff i bought (as far as i can remember) was 3mm foamed plastic sheets in cream.

If you guys pm me your addresses, i'll stick a bit of offcut in the post for you to have a look at (as long as it's only a few of you - don't want to spend a fortune on stamps!!!)

Latest posts