Porsche 944 hub questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starbiscuit

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thinking about converting to front discs, but wanting to stay stock wide 5 (currently stock ride height), and have some questions.

Does anyone know the difference between the position of the wheel-mounting face of the pre-86 944 hub on a 1970 bus spindle versus the wheel-mounting face of the stock bus drum? I guess it is fixed by the caliper mounting and that being centred on the disc.
I'm trying to establish whether, like for like, the wheel-mounting face-to-face width of the bus is greater or smaller and by how much.

I want to exclude complications that dropped spindles (that I might try) and different wheels or adapters might add to the calculation.

Separately, I think I read that stock 5"x14" wide 5 rims are 47.5mm offset.
And that the pre-86 Porsche wheels are 23.3mm

That's about an inch difference in offset, which is large.
However, if I found an inch-wide 5x130 to 5x205 wheel adapter to bolt to the Porsche hub, the centreline of the bus wheel on the Porsche hub would be the same as the Porsche wheel on the Porsche hub, which is good for bearing life.

So if I know the difference in mounting-face position, I'll know the difference in track width (after accounting for adapters)
Then have to factor-in any track gain from dropped spindles etc. if I go down that route.

Also, does anyone know if stock 14" wheels will fit over 944 disc + calipers, or is something slimmer required?
Or do people get the discs turned down and fit the calipers closer-in?
Would a 5x205 adapter on the Porsche hub clear the 944 caliper?

There are many 944 conversion kits out there, but most people seem to go 5x130 at the rear to use Porsche wheels all round.

Has anyone tried what I'm talking about? Does it work or is it stupid and I should give up?

Thanks for reading

i can't answer most of your questions but as i run 944 discs up front with a 60mm narrowed K&L beam my measurements wouldn't help.

Pre 86 Porsche wheels vary in offsets from something like 10.6mm-52.3mm and Fuchs come in 14" which do fit over the caliper but not sure what the offset is on them could be 45et

You may spend hours researching this and that time could be spent fitting a csp kit if you can afford one.

CSP kit looks good, but my concern would be on getting replacement discs in the future, should the bus out-last CSP.

Bearings, calipers, brake pads might be less of an issue because they must be fitted somewhere else.
But the discs might be specially made by CSP.

Latest posts