Possible steering lock problem on earlybays

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittas

Reaction score
Hi all , I think it's important to have the right length ignition key on any L code steering lock/ ignition barrel , here's why .When restoring my '70 dormobile I wanted to fit an original steering lock with the ignition key/barrel , as a previous owner had took them out and fitted a simple key switch .I brought an original steering tube/housing and shaft all in one with an original key , I stripped these down and found the shaft had damage on either side of the steering lock slot and the lock pin , after much head scratching I worked out someone had been using a none original key that was too short and was not disengaging the steering lock properly . So they were probably franticly yanking on the steering wheel as the steering lock came on whilst driving along to do the damage !!! I think the extra 1/4 " of plain key on the end is there to disengage the steering lock and keep it disengaged all the time the key is in the barrel .The thought of someone having the steering lock come on whist driving is frightening so just bear that in mind when having a replacement keys cut . Has anyone come across this before or has anymore info on this that could help , brittas

No that wont make any difference , its the turning of the barrel that retracts the lock. TBH nearly everyone I have looked at was damaged slightly , the lock "bolt" is harder than the shaft.

That's a bit worrying if the steering lock is trying to engage on these vehicles ,my original shaft and the replacement that I received for the damaged one were in good condition , no damage to the slot .The barrel/steering lock is the type with one grub screw retaining it (1970) ,I had the lock barrel on the bench and the lock bolt retracted when I put the key in every time . Also when I take the key out of the barrel a distinct click can be heard as the spring loaded lock bolt contacts the steering shaft , only locating with the slot in the shaft when the wheel is turned .I know they changed these locks in the change over period and the I think the late bays are more like modern steering locks . Just trying to get to bottom of this puzzle , Brittas

Latest posts