Power steering?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

MacWarrior

Reaction score
My first post on here!

My wife has bought me a beautiful 17" wooden steering wheel from AAC for our crossover Bay. My dilemma is this....

I currently have an original steering wheel with 17" 205 Oz alloy wheels, they look great but are a real arm wrestle at low speeds. If I fit the smaller steering wheel i am assuming the steering will get even heavier.

I would be grateful for thoughts on whether i should change the road wheels to something skinnier or fit power steering, obviously not fitting the new steering wheel is not an option!

I am approaching 60 years of age and not a huge fan of the gym.

Cheers

ozziedog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first post on here!

My wife has bought me a beautiful 17" wooden steering wheel from AAC for our crossover Bay. My dilemma is this....

I currently have an original steering wheel with 17" 205 Oz alloy wheels, they look great but are a real arm wrestle at low speeds. If I fit the smaller steering wheel i am assuming the steering will get even heavier.

I would be grateful for thoughts on whether i should change the road wheels to something skinnier or fit power steering, obviously not fitting the new steering wheel is not an option!

Cheers
Glad you posted, and I think Jon ^^^ has the right answer as in get some power steering. I’m only 66 ish but have arms like Popeye and a chest like Arnie. So I’ve now woken up and I’d best get saving for one as well . A few extra pounds of wind in them wheels might help in the meantime.:)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, it’ll come to us all I guess :)

Yorkie John

Reaction score
Drive to Litesteer, they will fit it in the day, drive home - job done!
They recommend a small campsite nearby to stay before and after.
They will also take you and collect you from the train station - so, have the day in Hastings.

chad

Reaction score
I've had Litesteer for a few years now.
I can't recommend it enough, if only for the parking/low speed manoeuvring benefits.

Graham L

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are fitting centres all over the UK for Litesteer so you may find there’s someone closer than Hastings depending where you are, there’s a list on their website and all are vetted by Neil, I know this because we are one of them

jollatine

Reaction score
My first post on here!

Cheers
I recently put one of these in
My first post on here!

I am

jollatine

Reaction score
I put power steering in on my 1971 camper. I was fed up with pulling muscles doing simple manoeuvres. It is really lovely having power steering after 23 years of struggle! And I can reverse/parallel park it into the tightest of spots which I’d never considered before!

I put in this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254647938917?hash=item3b4a332f65:g:4foAAMXQ74JTRplv

It isn’t pretty but works fine. I still had to get a new steering box which was VERY hard to find on top of this. I’m lucky to have a friend who is a good mechanic who put it all in.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won’t change the tax exemption. As far as MOT exemption goes I don’t think it counts as a ‘substantial change’ to the steering set up as it’s not an alteration to the type or method of steering.

However I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t want an MOT anyway, as it’s a good safety check and shows any future buyer you’ve maintained the vehicle in a roadworthy way.
That’s my opinion anyway. 😀

Latest posts