Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gninnam

Reaction score
Not put to many on here as a miffed with what is showing (to many 'good' bodges - if you know what I mean :x )

A few pics of work done so far:

9nXVu.jpg

Inner and outer sill on the near side.

AuyX7.jpg

Slightly different angle of the inner and outer sill.

4lNui.jpg

One more of the nearside for luck!!

x5e6A.jpg

Offside Inner, middle and outer sill installed (including door runner)

AeOjR.jpg

Behind the passenger seat - needs grinding back and filler but nearly there.

L6sq5.jpg

Beams running upto the nearside - can see plent for fresh air :shock:

b9rvG.jpg

Beams near the rear.

QMYcJ.jpg

Again, the beams from another angle - rear offside.

je9zn.jpg

And another pic of the inside rear.

Now for the not so pretty pics:

GFeqN.jpg

Front wing removed - which was over the rusty original wing :roll: bottom of the a pillar is mullered - know where I can get this part or will I have to fabricate one :?:

znR5E.jpg

And the final shot.

Sorry if the quality is a bit poo - done with my mobile. Will have to get a few more bits ordered now as the cab floor and the wheel arch are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard..... :cry:

Cheers for looking.

I feel your pain!!!

You can get A pillars from JK

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_bay/type-2-bay-original-vehicle-parts/body-panels/front-panels/post-hinge-pillar-a-offside-right.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jason said:
I feel your pain!!!

You can get A pillars from JK

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_bay/type-2-bay-original-vehicle-parts/body-panels/front-panels/post-hinge-pillar-a-offside-right.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Jason - only need the last 6 inches or so so don't want to spend £80 (probably x2 as not started the other side as yet).
Might have to fabricate, but much prefer the proper piece.................... :?

ant said:
good skills :D

Can't take all the credit for this I'm affraid - skills not upto this level yet and work is pressing into my free time to much at the mo' so outsourced the serious work to some with a good reputation (cheers TinTop wherever you are ;) ).

Cheers Ant :)

A few more progress pics - passenger side almost done now and the new beam installed - informed all ball joints are shot, so will get these sorted once all the chassis stuff done!

Also, sorry about the quality of the pics as only had my phone with me!

uzE2m.jpg

Pic of the front chassis rail.

yixYq.jpg

Arch fully in - not happy with the profile with the door, but with a little bit of work will look nice :)

pS2vk.jpg

Rebuilt B Post.

3m47r.jpg

Wheel tub.

TvJ5a.jpg

Another view of the tub.

Floor has been replaced in the passenger side also, but didn't grab a piccy.

Hopefully more pics to be added next month
Looks like it won't be on the road this year, but should be on for next :|

Looking good dude. My bus is in similar condition and I wish I was able to do the work myself!

What's wrong with the front arch? Where did it come from?

Nice work dude,it looks like a good bit of welding 8)

How did you repair the A pillars in the end?

mcvw said:
Looking good dude. My bus is in similar condition and I wish I was able to do the work myself!

What's wrong with the front arch? Where did it come from?

Cheers MCVW!
The arch seems to curve strangely at the front so that it curves in and up slightly - from Heritage - the only way to get a good fit is either NOS or getting one off of an old bay - will look OK once all sorted though :)

VWAIRCOOLED said:
Nice work dude,it looks like a good bit of welding 8)

How did you repair the A pillars in the end?

Thanks VWAIRCOOLED!
Used the drivers side as a template!

A tiny bit of an update (not much though).
Sorry about the quality of the pics (low light and camera phone :( )

B-Post and tinwork behind drivers seat:
uSrzU.jpg

A-Post and part of the front chassis leg:
B7ULj.jpg

Front chassis leg:
aw3RV.jpg

Removed the wing and the original was underneath :shock: The new one just tacked and then fillered :evil:
Floor removed and was just patches on top of patches :cry:

To do:
Repair A-Post.
Fit wing
Remove lower quarter panel (up to the indicators).
Replace inside lower panel, then outer
Repair other front chassis legs (the inside ones)
Fit wheel tub
Fit drivers side floor
Fit outer sill on drivers side
Fit rear floor
etc.....

Should have it done soon (not) ;)

keep up the work good sir, slow and steady and all that...

Your mile in front of me, in that I haven't started pulling mine to pieces yet, but I don't know how long I can put it off before its gone too far, I know theres a lot of filler on it...

retro said:
race you to the finish :lol: making good progress there, keep up the good work 8)
A race - don't think so :shock: Thanks for the comment though ;)

dubscum said:
coming along nicely
Cheers bud :)

Benyon said:
keep up the work good sir, slow and steady and all that...

Your mile in front of me, in that I haven't started pulling mine to pieces yet, but I don't know how long I can put it off before its gone too far, I know theres a lot of filler on it...
If it aint falling to pieces and keeps passing the MOT and you have faith in it, then just use it :D

Cheers lads - keeps one motivated when people comment on the work going on :mrgreen:

A few poor pics I'm affraid:

New wing:
3TDbv.jpg

Tub:
o62x8.jpg

Step:
aZMEt.jpg

Front quarter:
8nyWc.jpg

Progress which is good :D
Still a lot to do :(

keep it up fella ,wish i had some skills,any would be nice :lol: ,instead i have to have deep pockets :cry:
you will soon see that light at the end of the tunnel :D

Keep at it! I'm finding that the encouragement I'm getting, coupled with forum folk discussing their upcoming trips for the summer, is really spurring me on to get the bus sorted. I'm looking forward to seeing your dormy finished; mine is just a little way behind (well a long way really but I'm gaining on you ;) )!

Latest posts