Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair comment - all brake parts are new (apart from the drums) and I built them at the same time and made sure they are right but will double check - so close and yet so far!!

I backed off the handbrake fully and it made no difference.
I think I will swap the drums over and see if the noise moves across.
If it does then its the drum, if not then the mechanics (thats my logic anyway!)

That drum has definitely had it. The inside should be smooth with no grooves in it to ensure maximum contact area with the shoe when braking. Grooves are caused by worn out shoes usually, used to happen a lot when brake linings were riveted on in the good old days. Ideally you should replace drums in pairs to ensure brake balance and new shoes as well if they are grooved badly, otherwise they will wear your new drums unevenly. If its minimum damage to shoes you could smooth them back with Emery Cloth but wear a mask while doing it. And as gvee says adjustment is key, good idea to clean up the threads on the adjusters while the drums and shoes are off, should save some swearing later 😀

That drum has definitely had it. The inside should be smooth with no grooves in it to ensure maximum contact area with the shoe when braking. Grooves are caused by worn out shoes usually, used to happen a lot when brake linings were riveted on in the good old days. Ideally you should replace drums in pairs to ensure brake balance and new shoes as well if they are grooved badly, otherwise they will wear your new drums unevenly. If its minimum damage to shoes you could smooth them back with Emery Cloth but wear a mask while doing it. And as gvee says adjustment is key, good idea to clean up the threads on the adjusters while the drums and shoes are off, should save some swearing later 😀
Everything apart from the the drums are new - the star adjusters move easily so no need to clean up.
Damn - another £100 for the new drums it is then :(

New delivery today:

IMG_20220225_133459.jpg

Hope to fit them today.

Didn’t get to fit the new drums yesterday but did today (both sides replaced as is recommended).
Noise has gone now so I am pleased :)
Need to check the clutch pedal as it has too much movement (rocking) and rubs against the floor when pressed - hopefully easy to fix.

IMG_20220226_114433.jpg

Will then venture further (after getting a roadside assistance policy - which one is recommended?)

Had a fun drive in the van - its first trip to the petrol station in 17 years :)
Changing gear is still like stirring porridge but the scariest thing was the clutch pedal went all floppy and made changing gear pretty scary - managed to get it on the drive (reversed it on the drive so easier to work on the front end!!)

A picture of how the clutch pedal ended:

IMG_20220227_164352.jpg

The problem was the bolt wasn’t long enough so the nut wasn’t locking down - found a longer nut and all good now.

IMG_20220227_173128.jpg

The horn has stopped working - the live cable has caught up with the steering gear and snapped so will need to sort it out somehow.

Still moving forward I suppose :)

A moderately successful first drive then.
The horn cable should be a ground, the 12V feed goes to the horn and then the ground is run from the horn to the steering coupler and up the column to the horn push.
Thanks.
Regards the horn, yep - you are right and I meant what you put ;)
Will probably extend the wire so I can route it better - don't think it will be this week as the weather is not supposed to be good.

Worked on getting the horn working again - the previous connector had just pulled free so put a new spade on and re-routed the cable.
Tested by turning the steering wheel and no snagging. Will keep my eye on it but should be ok now :)

20220306_115513.jpg

With the driver's seat out I could access a bit more inside so added some grommets to the holes I have in tubs (no pics) and also added a grommet to the hole for the clutch pedal (no pics) so it doesn’t rub on the metal.

While the seat was out, Morty, our cat decided to have a rest on it…..

20220306_145310.jpg

Whilst tiding up around the tub found 2 missing bits, the knob for adjusting the driver’s seat back angle and also a rubber bobbin that goes under the passenger seat, mounted on the tub :)

20220306_140556.jpg

20220306_140623.jpg

Tiny steps ;)

Regarding the sloppy gear stick, it was mentioned by someone (Graham or Simon) about the insert on the front of the shaft.
Well I did replace it when I rebuilt everything, but when I grab the shaft (behave at the back….) and move it there is some movement so this won’t help I suppose :(

20220306_155007.jpg

Decided that all the 2nd hand bumper steps I found were just not worth the money so bought new ones from JK.
Seem to be good so at the weekend decided to fit the bumper and steps. Fitted the off side bracket with no real issues then went to fit the nearside and it has a bloody broken bolt in the hole. Tried to drill out but no good - will have a look this week (depending on the weather) to see if I can get it out:

20220326_103918.jpeg20220326_103913.jpeg20220326_103904.jpeg20220326_103858.jpeg

The bolt is a bit sunken. I will grab some new metal drill bits and work them through then see if I can get it out that way.

Latest posts